1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Softener Kaput !

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

After only 25 years with the same Kintetico water softener it's quit working. Figure it doesnt' make sense to repair the old one which will still be 25+ years old ?

So . . . . had Culligan come in and they want $1300-$1600 plus 7% Indiana sales tax to replace the system. Also had an independent come in and he wants $1,000 for a Series WS1 Aqualine water softner. The Aqualine "guy" has been doing this for over 40 years and has two sons that will take over the business when he retires so service will probably still be available. I did some research on the internet - but now am just more confused.

Not looking for the Cadillac model - just my wife and myself with an occasional grandchild that spends the night. We do have well water but it's not terrible when it comes to rust, sulphur smell, etc. We'll probably have city water in the next 5 years based on the way the town is growing toward us.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated re: system reliability, cost, etc.

Thanks in advance

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I know a lot of people who installed the Sears Water Softeners and like them.

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I am not sure where you are located in Indiana. The link will take you to a place located on the south side of Indy. Real honest folks with a good product.

I had them put in a basic softner at my previous house. It ran for 7 years with no problems up until I moved. I should clarify to be a little more clear that I have no reason to believe that it is still not working... I just no longer live there.

My buddy and father upon my recommendation had softners put in from these guys. My friend's is now 8 years old with no problem. My dad's is 3 years old.

I just had the kinetico in my house replaced, house insurance paid for it minus a one hundred dollar deductable. Price for my new Kinectico was $2850.00 give or take with Indiana sales tax.

No way would I spend that kind of money on a softner if I didn't have insurance!

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

What kind of home owners insurance pays for a water softener....does yours cover all of your appliances and furnace too?

Just askin'.

5. twotimer

twotimer Member

Amboy, I have a kintetico and wouldn't even consider any other brand. However, if price is an issue or you don't plan on being there another 25 yrs., go with the guys that will provide you the best service. Mike

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I had a supplemental home warranty that I called insurance in the previous post. No it is not the same as a general ALLSTATE or STATE FARM home owners policy.

We received the policy for one year when we bought the house. There are different levels of coverage, water softners are extra, as is some other stuff...

There is a $50.00 house call deductable or at least there was when we had and then another $50.00 deductable if the repair was going over a thousand bucks as I recall. We used them for about 4 years, great company with no complaints...

I think we paid around $380.00 a year with the extra coverage.

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

OT: In our Carolina home our Culligan system needs servicing so I disconnected it. Our well water is clean, no smell, it's not hard (we are in the foothills). Upon our last visit I found a copper line had developed a leak. Upon inspecting the inside of the pipe I found that the pipe was eaten away (from the water?).

This was a 3" long 1/2" tube, a sweat on coupler, another 3" long 1/2" tube, a sweat on 1/2" male pipe adapter attached to a pvc pipe. Only the tube and the male pipe adapter were eaten away, the tube on the other side of the coupler showed no sign of wear.

What would have caused this? This tubing was installed in front of the water softener, so even if the softener was working it would not have mattered.

Will using a water softener help to protect the pipes in the rest of the home?

Thanks,

Andy

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Andy- have the ph level checked. it should be 7.0(neutral)

9. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I have a friend who bought one from "apluswater" on ebay, He got a big one that has the Fleck electronic digital head delivered a couple years ago for about $550.00.

These use the Fleck control valves just like all the commercial company's use.

I would buy one of these and have someone hook it up if you can't do it your self.

http://shop.ebay.com/apluswater/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

tom

10. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Andy,

I lived in a house with ph problems with the water. Every couple of months the copper pipes developed small pin hole leaks. A water softener fixed the problem.

Ed

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

Will a water softener adjust the ph level?

12. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

After having a Kinetico, I'm not sure why you would ever want to go with another brand. Are you sure your current Kinetico softener is shot? Could you just get new resin in the bed? Those things are built very solid and have mechanical flow meters, so it's hard for me to imagine that repairing it wouldn't make it equal to (really better than) a new softener of a lesser brand.

I'm probably biased because I have about $5000 of Kinetico water treatment equipment in my house (softener and sulphur guard), but I can tell you that I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I dump salt in it every 6 months, but other than that it takes care of itself, is extremely quiet, and I always have softened and filtered water available. To me it's a no-brainer.

--Dan

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

andybull , I don't think the water softener changes the Ph. I haven't noticed a change in mine. a softener will keep your pipes cleaner.
    If you have a ph problem you can get equipment to balance the ph.

water softeners all do the same thing but the cheaper ones just don't last as long.

14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I had good luck with a Water Boss brand years ago, had it more for the iron filtration rather than the hardness of the water. I had also at another place something called a Sulfur Blaster but that too was on a soft water well rather than real hard water. It used compressed air to inject into the water so the oxygen would kill the sulfur. Might be worth looking into getting the Kinetco repaired if the tanks are no leaking themselves and I believe they are fiberglass. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kinetico softener tom coffey reviews

series ws1 aqualine water softener