1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

water logged shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bassetguy, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassetguy

bassetguy TS Member

Due to hurricane Irene I had 4 cases of Rio trap shells go under water. whats the change they are still shootable?

2. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

0%...I would not shoot them.
    Joe

3. msmith

msmith Member

I had a flood from a broken water main. Several cases of of Remington STS sheel and some Winchester Super X slugs were under water. Every shell worked as new. I would try them for practice shooting. Mike

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Very slim, cut them open & salvage the lead. 4 cases = 1000 shells lots of lead there. Ross Puls

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Dry them out and try to see if they shoot.

Worst case is that they are duds.

Water will not make them explode.

6. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

Have a friend that had something similar happen. Other than the rust on the bases they all fired OK after about a month of drying out.

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I think I would do what has been suggested, let them dry and see if they will shoot and if so use them for practice.

If they won't shoot, then cut them open and salvage the lead.

Just my "two cents".

Allen

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Back following the Hurricane Agnes caused flooding in 1972 I bought three or four cases of Remington (RXP? All-American??? I can't recall) at a price that was about 25% of the then current price. The case boxes (cardboard) showed that they were definitely completely soaked at one time. Some of the shells had a coating of fine mud on them. I cleaned them up and put them aside for a few months. Then I started using them.

I ended up with three or four shells that did not fire. All of the others worked just fine and the 1100 (or maybe it was my Win 1400 at that time) had no problem functioning.

9. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

modern plastic hulls are more-or-less waterproof.

Just bring a few extras to the line, in case of click-no-bangs.

Hell, my kid has 2 dud/squib loads in one round with new, dry factory loads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.