1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Water heater ( no drain valve?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

I am putting a new water heater in at the club. The one I bought ( GE 10 gal electric) has no drain. It has only three holes. Hot water on side at top, cold water on side at bottom and pressure relief valve at side on top. My thoughts are to put a T in where the cold water is at the bottom so I can open the valve and drain it with the cold water inlet turned off & relief valve open. We do not heat the club so it must be drained when not in use to prevent freezing. Will this work? The diagram shows running a drain off the relief valve but I cannot see that working as it is at the top??
  2. ken1okie

ken1okie Member

The drain off the relief valve is used as a pipe away to avoid water in the area of the water heater in case of an over pressure situation. The tee and valve on the cold side should work fine.
  3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hey Cubin, the issuse is the tank would still be filled. I would do what you are suggesting but invert the tank ( hang/mount ) upside down.
    Jim
  4. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I think your going at it the right way, I don't know how it would drain going up against gravity out the relief value, unless you apply air pressure but you still wound not get all the water out.
  5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Thx guys - sometimes you can find out more here than on google. This forum has the best folks anywhere ( but it is no wonder, we are all trapshooters or at least shooters of some kind)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.