1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WATER FLOW OF PIPE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shoot'n Dad, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoot'n Dad

Shoot'n Dad TS Member

Your going to need a little additional information for this calculation... like how long is the pipe and the fall distance (head of water body), if your trying to drain something, i.e, pond or creek,lake or ocean, it's not as simple as how much will pass through unless you want an answer like "all of them"...

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Perhaps BP has some engineers that could figure this one out!

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Obviously you will need to determine the velocity of the flow. If I remember correctly, the velocity may be different on the surface than a couple of feet below the surface. I think they call that "laminar flow" but it's been a long time since I took Hydrology, Hydraulics, or Fluid Mechanics in college.

Anyhoo, what you might do to get an approximation is to float a stick into one end of the pipe and time how long it takes for the stick to emerge from the other end. If you know the length of the pipe, the depth of the water, and the diameter of the pipe (6 feet), then you could do some calculations to determine the APPROXIMATE flow rate.

Easystreet

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Need more information to calculate this.

What is the elevation change between the place where the water is coming from, and the place where the water is going to.

What is the length of the pipe? Is it straight, or are there bends?

What kind of pipe is it?

What do you mean when you say 60%. Do you mean the pipe is not completely full, but only 60% full?

What do you mean when you say "picked up later by a pump?"

A diagram would help.

72" is a big pipe.

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check out Poiseuille's law. Chichay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.