1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Filter Info needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim Porter, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Help anyone!!

We have community water and it is bad. I can hardly brush my teeth with it. I am looking to get a filter for the kitchen sink or under the kitchen sink for drinking water. Have looked at PUR that screws to the faucet and ZERO that is a pitcher type filter. The water is clear but tastes bad, it's not a matter of visable particles in the water. I would rather not go through the hassle of a system on the incoming line to the whole house. It's not alot of money either way but I would like to have a REAL endorsement before I throw the bucks.

Thanks in advance
    Jim

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money on the PUR. Mine started leaking and fell apart in a couple of months. The store would not help so I sent a carefully worded letter. They sent me a coupon for another complete unit. So that customer service part is good news, the bad news is that this one is starting to leak from the same places. I have 3 replacement filters left (about $15 ea) and I am sure the housing will not stay together long enough to use them. That big housing hanging on the faucet tip is inconveinent also. When it dies, I am installing a teel under sink system. I had one in my old house for years and it was still good when I sold the house. Good Luck

3. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I would look into a reverse osmosis water system.

Don't waste your money on filters.

tom

4. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

i have a under sink reverse system and it works fine, replace the filters once a year. It is really great water to drink and cook with now.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You can get a whole house system (either a 'softner' type or a pre-charged filter type). This alone is probably NOT what you are after.

U/V filters are for killing organisms and will have little effect on the taste of the water.

What is the problem with the water?? - Metal taste? Salty? - could you be more specific. Also, where do you live? Do you know the source of your water (wells, reservoir, etc.)??

For the quality of water from a taste point of view an R/O unit is probably your best choice. Up-front cost will be fairly big, and I will say you get what you pay for in these models. Some can be bought for around one hundred dollars at places like Home Depot or Lowes, others can run into a lot more (Rainsoft)- NOTE - you get what you pay for.

R/O units use water pressure to reverse filter the water - what comes out of the tap is pure water - 'no nothing else' in there. You will be throwing away about two gallons of water for every gallon of filtered water you create. It is typically a 'single source' unit so you typically place the tap by the kitchen sink (you OK with brushing your teeth there?).

R/O units will work better if there is some kind of pre-filter. Not sure if you need a softner for the house (typically 'city' water is OK), but a pre-filter (looks a lot like a big diesel fuel filter) might not be a bad idea. If you are lucky this type of filter will knock down some of the taste to the point where brushing teeth with the water is OK (the other option is beer).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.