1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Water damage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by singles, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singles

singles Member

My sump pump died and I ended up having water in my finished basement while out of town. My gun safe flooded and I ended up with some water damage to the butts of a few of my shot guns and rifles. The wood has swelled and one one is actually starting to ripple. Others are swollen and discolored. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to restore the wood that is located in Michigan.
    Thanks!

2. creek

creek Member

I hope to see some good responses because I too have the same problem with eight rifles. My safe flooded during Hurricane Irene last year; rippled finish and discolored wood.

John

3. high 2

high 2 Member

I've worked on 3 that have been through what you have described. One of them couldn't be saved. The other two turned out pretty good. I think you'll find that it will depend on each individual piece of wood and how it reacts to the water. If they aren't high grade it could be cheaper to replace than to repair. Be sure to get the wood off of the metal in the mean time. Larry

4. steele

steele TS Member

This is after the fact, but when I bought my safes, the dealer asked where I was going to put them. When I told him the basement, he advised to set the safes up on 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 lumber, as an added safety net to a flooded basement.
    Luckily I haven't been tested yet. Butch from Pgh

5. singles

singles Member

Anyone have a recommendation they can suggest for repairs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.