1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Watching champions at the Eastern Zone

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Some of us think we're good shooters and have a laundry list of reasons why a target didn't break, ...everything from the guy next to us dropping a hull, or farting, to bad bullets; but always looking for reasons/excuses.

I watched Dave Bicknell, with his goofy shooting style, and the relaxed one, David Shaeffer, in a shoot-off Saturday night at the Eastern Zone, at Elysburg. To get where they were at that point in the contest, they had both broken nearly 700 straight. It was raining off and on, and the PA system would suddenly blare out some nonsense about shutting down this or that bank, sometimes while either of the two champions had their guns mounted and about to call a bird. Know what? They didn't pull the gun down and throw a tantrum, they called the target and broke it.

I'm 69 this year, and don't have the eyesight, reflexes, or stamina of either of those great champion Dave's. It's not an excuse, it's a fact, and I'm gonna stop beating myself up, trying to convince me that I'm a good shooter, and have the potential of being on the line, shooting it out with those guys. Instead, my time will be spent enjoying this sport, having fun with my friends and helping Calvin load shotshells for my next adventure. Sure, I'll have an occasional good day, and win a trophy in class, from time to time; but searching for the magic bullet or spending my way to a world championship ain't gonna happen. The sooner the bitching and complaining stops, and the self torment ends, there will be less distractions and more broken targets.

That's what I learned, watching champions. And Congratulations to Dave Bicknell and Dave Shaeffer, and thanks for the lesson .......break 'em....all, er, as many as you can.......mike

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That's what I call a great attitude!

Ed

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Mike I wish I could have written those feelings as well as you did. For most of us the moments of glory are few and cherished but the experiences and memories last forever.

The realization that I won't become an All American was painful so now I just enjoy standing out on the trap field and having fun breaking all the targets that I can.

I've decided that trapshooting doesn't define who I am and that's liberating. I suspect I'm not alone.

4. tug1625

tug1625 TS Member

I'm not sure if anyone stuck around for my father's induction speech into the PSSA hall of fame this year(Stephen 'Doc' Ollock).... but he made a really good point about his 30 years of shooting. The competition of the sport of shooting is great... but the people you meet and become friends with, outweighs any trophy. I personally have just begun shooting and all though I shoot bad scores and get frustrated I still have a great time because of the people I know from when my father was lugging us around as kids and all the new people i get to meet. I hope that as I continue to shoot my scores get better.... but if not.. I always know there is going to be a great party somewhere in the campground I can drink the bad scores off at!!! So as long as its fun to pick the gun up.... keep doing it!

Stephen J. Ollock "Tug"

5. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Tug...

...great summation of your Dad's point. I'm one of those guys who has enjoyed drinking off a day of poor shooting with you. I look forward to many more years of the same... (of course, I hope one day I'll tip one back to YOUR PSSA HOF Induction!)

All the best,

Walker

BTW, I posted a pic of your dad shooting off for AAA Open Doubles Champion this past weekend.

6. tug1625

tug1625 TS Member

WALKER!!! sup bud! yeah I saw the pic... I'm sure he would appreciate it.. even though he has no real clue on how to use a computer... besides look at weather reports. As for tipping back the beers.. I'll tip a beer with you any day!!!1 Although make sure we get to bed at a reasonable time... or shoot on a late squad... last time we stayed out drinking I went out on the the line next morning feeling I was going to hurl every time I called for the bird!!! And the day i get inducted into the HOF will be the same day hell freezes over and pigs fly. Good luck at the grand if you are heading out... I can't make it... school is such a pain in the arse!!

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Walker great pics! Didn't mske it this time but see you at the Westy.

Tug, you're already a world class....beer drinker. See you sooner than I see Walker.

Jerry

8. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I almost always just sign up on any squad to meet and shoot with new people. The biggest part of this game for us regular shooters is the people I meet and the time I spend shooting. Some of you may know me by the visor I wear that say's "Suck it up and shoot". This montra was coined by Bob Mulmstead [sp]to Kate one day and has stuck in my mind. It means let go of the excuses and shoot the best you can.

9. tug1625

tug1625 TS Member

Thanks for the props Dr. Weger (Jerry)... tough for me to call you Jerry when I still have you as an instructor. I wish they had a HOF for beer drinking.. I would have been inducted years ago!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dave bicknell trap

eastern zone trap champions