1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

watched some 27 yd doubles anybody tried it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I was watching some guys playing around at the club yesterday and shooting 27 yard doubles, It looked like fun but they were having trouble with the second bird, Anyone tried this and what was your opinion?

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Shot a game call Doc Adams doubles, shot doubles from the skeet stations. Not fun. Second bird I never got. Did it once and that was enough. Tom

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Heck, the gun club I belong to they shoot doubles with the oscillator on. Now that's a challenge!

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

All sound like fun to me.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

We shoot a game here in the Pacific Northwest called " 50 Bird Doubles Buddy Backer". This is shot from the 27 yard line with the machine set for doubles, IN THE #2 HOLE, with the oscillator on. We usually add a little more spring to the trap to make it more interesting and to narrow the spread of the targets just a bit. Shot with a partner, or buddy, each pair of shooters has 2 shots apiece to break both targets. Usually, the shooter on the left takes the left hand target and the shooter on the right takes the right handed one, but, you can shoot it any way you want. If one shooter breaks his target with one shot, he can use the other shot to help his partner break his target. The goal, of course, is to break as many of the 50 targets as you can. Trust me, a 50 straight in this event is extremely rare and it's a blast to shoot, especially at night under the lights...... You can build a purse any way you want with this game..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I love 27 yard doubles....actually won a shootoff after a few ties shootin' then at the 16....wobble doubles would be a hoot!

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I wonder if the ATA has ever looked at it as an event?

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

9. gundog

gundog TS Member

Had a turkey shoot once, Watched Kiner shootem. It was like he was shooting from 16yds. It was unreal.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Actually ... 27 yard Doubles is easier than from 16 yards ... once you figure out the lead on the 2nd bird.

From 27 yards ... your swing to the 2nd bird is much shorter. Also ... the guys using skeet & mod chokes will have to go to tighter chokes at 27 yards.

11. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

My guess is Ahab never shot doubles

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

A few years back the ATA instituted handicap doubles, with 27 yards the maximum. It must have died from lack of interest, as I can find no mention of it in the current rulebook.

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

We used 27-yard wobble doubles to settle a tie in the "Two in Family" trophy at the Utah State Shoot this year. It was shot as a "buddy" format with each "two-in-family" pair comprising a team. The shooter on the left had to break the left-hand target, and the shooter on the right had to break the right-hand target. One shot apiece. It went two rounds. I think the winning second round score was 38 to 34.

Everybody seemed to enjoy it. Might make it a fun, non-registered "event" next year.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Larry you are correct they did institute Handicap Doubles but I have the rules. The yardages were a bit different that 27yds.

Handicap Doubles

This event must be shot 10 shots at each station as directed by shoot management from 18 to 27 yards with each shooter in order shooting at two targets thrown simultaneously from the trap house until all have shot the specified number of times, then rotating in a clockwise manner to the next station. Earned yardage will be earned in the same manner as described in Article IV (C). A contestant must stand on the highest whole yardage punched on his or her card. For example, if a card is punched at 20.5 yards, the shooter will stand on 20.0 yards. However, if one half yard is then earned, the card must be punched to 21.0 yards and the shooter must stand on the 21.0 yard line. Initial yardage assignment for all shooters with established Doubles Averages on at least 500 targets in the current and previous target years will be based on their current Doubles Average as follows:

AA 25 Yards

A 23 Yards

B 22 Yards

C 20 Yards

D 17 Yards

New shooters with no established doubles average will be assigned the 18 yard line.

A shooter may not stand on a higher yardage than he is punched, unless assigned penalty yardage by the shoot handicap committee. If there is a 200 target handicap doubles event, the second 100 handicap doubles event must not begin prior to the awarding of earned yardage based on the first 100 target event. It is not permitted to have more than one 50 target handicap doubles events in a registered tournament in 28 any one day.

BTW you will notice that there is no AAA yardage I wonder why????

Bob Lawless

15. brownk80

brownk80 Member

We used to shoot what we called TEXAS DOUBLES. Two shooters, three targets, four shots. The ties were deceided from the 27 yard line.

Brownk80

16. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

We shoot them from the 30 yard line....lots of fun!!!!!!

17. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Can't hit 27yd. or doubles. Not for me.

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Trpshter2001 ... Just bring money ... and we will shoot some doubles ... your choice of yardage!

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Doubles from the 16 yard line is now the least favorite ATA event. If we were to add doubles from the 27 yard line, I would predict that 16 yard doubles would no longer be the least favored ATA event. I now shoot a lot of doubles and a lot of handicap from the 27. Both are fun but can be rather frustrating at times. I have no desire to compound my frustration.

Ahab- If doubles from the 27 yard line are easier than doubles from the 16 yard line, then singles from the 27 yard line would also be easier than singles from the 27 yard line. My experience suggests that this is not true.

Pat Ireland

20. missed some

missed some TS Member

i always thought shooting singles from 27 had to be easier, thats why the 27 yarders always win isn't it, cause it's easier. haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.