1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Watched a Live pigeon shoot today!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I shot sporting clays today and when I arrived they were having a live pigeon shoot. The first thing that one of the guys said to me was that it was not as easy as it looked. I've shot doves for over 45 years and it didn't look hard at all to me. The birds are slow getting up but they are pretty tough. I was not overly impressed at any rate. What's your take on it? The betting was the only thing that was impressive. A couple of the elderly guys were shooting 28 Ga O/U and did very well. Jackie B.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way, @ the one I went to, there was a multi-thousand dollar jackpot for a 25 straight. As far as the 28ga, you may have been watching a side event, some offer 28ga in addition to the main race.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The birds can do just about anything. Even crawl out of the ring to die(lost bird). Some places goos the bird with a shot of air when the trap is sprung. Boy that must create some excitement.

A good bird boy who grabs a runner can expect a very handsome tip.

HM

4. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I've never seen one but from what I understand it takes a lot of $$$ just to enter.

5. Shooting Jack

Mooshu, I do shoot fairly well so I guess I can say what I want. First off it was done in the open right next to a public road(approximately 75 yards to the ring). It wasn't like they were trying to hide anything. Second, If you can read as well as YOU run your mouth you would see that I didn't include a city, state or location. Lastly, I did not see anything sportsman like about it. I don't have anything against it but to me it was like shooting a dove getting ready to land on a light wire or as the saying goes, a sitting duck. I do, dearly love to shoot dove in the wild and will do so as long as I am able but will not ever take part in a pigeon shoot of this type. Jackie B.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I guess you just don't want that easy money.

HM

7. GEORGE oldboy

GEORGE oldboy TS Member

Pigeons,ahhh!!!best shooting game there is.pigeons cost millions in damages to bridges, buildings,etc. they poison them by the 10s of thosands and die a slow death.they are ounce for once the toughest bird there is.if they start growing talons look out hawks.give me barnaby boxes,a dry cool day,pigeons caught the day before,let me choose the birds to be loaded into the boxes,bring on anyone you want world wide. 3o to 1 money they wont kill 25 strait. pigeons can make the best shots in the world inept,ive seen it happen loadem!

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

To me, live bird shooting is not like hunting. It is not designed to simulate hunting. It is target shooting at a rather elusive target. Sure some of the shots are rather easy but some are not. If you hit 10 straight, you have done very well and can get paid well. And, if you kill the bird quickly with one shot and it is laying dead on the ground, shoot it again. If you do not understand why anyone would shoot a dead bird on the ground, you have not been to a flyer shoot.

Pat Ireland

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

GEORGE oldboy, I have read two of your posts and in both you misspelled the word straight. STRAIGHT not strait. Class over. RG Ps unless of course you were talking about a strait on a body of water.

10. Shooting Jack

Hi Pat, were you there? Just kidding but I noticed a lot that did shoot them twice even though they were dead the first shot. Can they use any ammo? I would select 3 3/4 drams and 6's. I normally use 7 1/2's for dove and would probably work ok but I think 6's would be better. Jackie B.

11. twopipe

twopipe Member

used to get some dog training pigeons from the pigeon racing crowd. They cull out the slow "homers" as not worth keeping around, so they are gonna die anyway. The law here say we can kill them, but they can't be allowed to "suffer"

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Last I heard, birds were bringing $5 apiece from the local farm boys. Thing about pigeons, you kill two, and three take their place.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Hot weather flyers fly slow, die EZ.

Gotta be cold with feathered out birds for a real test.

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pat Ireland, The reason you shoot the dead pigeon again is a safety reason. Thats so you don't walk off the field with a round in the gun. If you don't shoot it with both barrels the bird is lost. I have never shot pigeons, but I have seen it 3 times. I rate it the same as going to a regulated shooting ground with stocked birds which I did a few years back. No thrill to me knowing you paid for 10 birds and there out in the field waiting for you to kick up.

George

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I prefer the live shoots to dropping a live lobster into boiling water. That makes me p*$$ myself. tripod

16. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Word is that Michael Vick is giving up on pit bull fighting and will go to live pigeon shoots. Best Regards, Ed

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

George- The reason the dead bird is shot again on the ground is to prevent it from making an additional flop with a wing and ending up outside of the ring. I saw a dead bird make such a move and it cost the shooter $2,500.

Pat Ireland

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pat, I will state it again, from a ref. at the Penna. state flyer championship 2 years ago. " If you walk off the station without firing 2 shots you lose the bird." Its for safety, and most shooters walk around with closed guns!

George

19. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

In Cordoba, Argentina the pigeons are flight conditioned before a big shoot. A boy flaps a feed sack around the flight pen several times a day to burn fat off of the birds. Also no feed the shoot day as they want light, fast birds. The steel traps roll a bacci ball into the opening trap spooking the bird to flight. Grounds are manicured, no shooters in shorts or sweats. Absolutly the most exciting competition I'll ever do. Very much a proper game done in taste while maintaining the Hemingway thrill! Mike

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Been there and done that zarathrusta. If you want to have even more fun use a SXS .410 shotgun. Makes shooting those runners a whole bunch easier. Nothing better then a squealing rat!Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you have live competition pigeon shoots in nebraska