1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Watch your Dick's Ammo Purchases!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

If you buy any ammo at Dick's BE SURE TO CHECK WHAT YOU ARE BUYING!!!

Today I opened a flat of STS Nitro 1 1/8 Oz. I was getting four boxes out to donate to a fundraiser for our school. When I went to put them into a gift basket one box rattled a bit more than normal so I opened it up. Surprises surprise. The shells were stacked into the box in such a manner that the top layer was the almost normal looking five alternating except that two of the shells were head to head instead of the normal head-mouth-head.. alignment. Also the box felt a bit lighter than the other three. The way the shells were put into the box, there is absolutely no way that this was a factory error. It was instead, in my opinion, a deliberate attempt to hide the fact that six shells were removed from the box.

When I moved the box I saw the shells shift and then I discovered that the middle rows were set up in such a way as to make it appear that the top row was full. There were six shells missing. There were only nineteen shells in the box and not the twenty-five that were supposed to be there. Also the bottom most row of five had all the heads lined up facing the same way.

The receipt for the purchase was still in the box and the box was sealed at the checkout counter last June 13 when I bought them at the Dick's store in Erie, PA. It is obvious that someone decided to steal six shells from the box. What is very interesting is that these shells were NOT on the display floor. When I went to buy them at a sale Dick's was running, I had a hard time getting them to honor their ad. First the only had a few boxes on the shelf and the clerk said they were not the shells that were on sale since the ad said AA-STS were the sale shells. These were STS-Nitro and so they were not the AA-STS that the ad listed.

After some discussion with the clerk, he finally went into the back room to "see if he could find any STS shells". He came out with one or two boxes and I told him I wanted ten so it was back into the backroom to get some more. He finally did "find" eight more boxes. I then asked for an empty box (flat) to put them in to carry to the checkout station.

At the check out station I again got a hassle since they said I needed a coupon but the one they gave me had already past its expiration date and I pointed this out to them. Also, the ad had no mention at all of the need for a coupon. I even went right to the rack by their door and got a copy of their flyer and then they finally did admit that there was no mention of any coupon. The manager (or at least who ever was in charge of the check out area) then said he would look on-line to see what the company info said. I waited about twenty minutes before he returned and said he had problems with the computer. By this time I had close to forty minutes wasted to buy these shells but I was getting pissed and when I think someone is trying some false advertising or other trickery, I also get stubborn. So I waited him out.

Because of previous postings here on TS, I was aware that Dick's, in the past, seemed to have a "problem" when people tried to get advertised ammo on sale so their shenanigans did not come as a total surprise to me.

Finally he just wrote up the sale at the advertised sale price and then we put the receipt in the box and taped the box so the shells wouldn't fall out in transit.

Today, ten months later, I took the tape off and opened the flat. That is when I found the six shells missing box. I checked the other nine boxes and all contained the normal 25 shells.

So, given this incident, and others previously reported by others on TS, I STRONGLY SUGGEST that IF YOU DEAL WITH DICK'S, CAREFULLY CHECK WHAT YOU ARE BUYING!!!

P.S. (additional info added) The original report of the way Dick's handled this sale was posted to TS.com back on June 13 last year. There are a few more details that I got slightly wrong on this report. i.e. The expired coupon they tried to palm of on my was for Solid Copper Turkey Hunting loads and it was ten minutes that the Line Supervisor had "computer problems" where the company web site wouldn't open. You can refer back to that article in the archives if you want the exact details.

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Their system of honoring sale prices sucks. There is no better way to put it.

This is the first I have heard of missing shells, but I am not surprised. This probably happened at the store level.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dick's is Asshole City. They are not knowledgable about ANY of their gun or hunting related items. They welsh on their special deals, or don't have what is wanted.

Cut from the same cloth as Gander.

HM

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

In Calif. Dick's does not sell any hunting or fihing related equipment, so I boycott them. Fred

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just another reason to boycott Dicks. Nothing but trouble can arise from doing business with them. I would not go there if they advertised free shells

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I bought two flats of Remington shells in December.
    My $40.00 Dick's rebate card arrived yesterday. This
    was after I wrote to the President of Remington com-
    plaining about the excessive wait time for the rebate.
    The problem was not with Remington but CMSPromoCheck.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Dicks used to have some decent sales on clothing and sometimes guns and ammo, not much reason to shop there the last few years.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I solidifies my thoughts. I would not go in a dick's if they were giving shells away.

9. ABH

ABH Member

I herd thru the grape vine that Dick's won't be selling any firearms or shooting supplies in NJ any longer. At least they named the store properly.

ART H.

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This is disturbing information. Dick's is going to be opening soon here in my town. I have gone to one and it looks just like a Sports Authority. No impressed.

Bryan

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Oh, this ought to be good.....I am ducking for cover.

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

In my area of Penna. this has been going on for years. It's finally catching up to some of you other guys. DICK'S, that's right.

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Calkid,

SHOTS FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.lol.

Sandy Holehouse.

14. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Just FYI when duck hunting I had a box of steel shot that had 2 shells of 00 Buck 2 3/4 in shells in a box of 3 in mag steel shot I just figured it was some smart ass kids. I'm glad a game warden did'nt check me that day I would of had a ticket even though everone knows 9 pelletts of 00 buck is a lously ducking hunting load only thing worse is a slug......

15. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Fred (FssBerson), the Bakersfield store sells everything you can think of for sports. I bought 4 cases of gun clubs, on sale $4.99bx., when they first opened. The salesperson had to take the ammo to the front counter for the assistant mgr to ring up. The morons did not have the case price in the computer, nor could they put the price in times 40. The moron had to open a case and take one box out and SCAN IT 40 TIMES!!!!! A TREE DIED FOR THIS SALE. MY RECEIPT WAS HEAVIER THAN THE SHELLS. I HAVE NOT BEEN BACK SINCE. BIG JIM
    [​IMG]

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Dick's in Durham, North Carolina just had their sale on Gun Clubs.
    Buy one, get one half off - which brought the price to $ 5.25 a box. I bought
    16 boxes. The clerk was very nice and got me a box from the back to carry them.
    I didn't know what a bunch of A..holes they were. I won't go back there, again.

17. Toddy

Toddy Member

Dick's has to pay Rocco Mediate some how.....LOL

Reg. T.

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

True Story: Reminds me of the time I bought a broken open case of 5,000 Claybuster 12 ga. wads...which was missing a couple of bags...then, one bag fell out as I was loading and in it was an old German .32 auto pistol of some sort with 5 cartridges in the magazine...chamber was empty. Scared the @#$% out of me when it hit the loading bench. Best regards, Ed

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mine doesn't buy ammo...forgive me I couldn't help myself.

Bob

20. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

What you guys are experiencing has to come from associates that lack proper training or just don't give a crap. The guys at the Anderson, South Carolina stop I shop bend over backwards for me. They let me call them to see if more shells arrive on their latest truck. I think they're doing a great job.
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.