1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Watch out for your remote car starters!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Is this a case of weird or wired????

Millcreek police continue investigation into traffic crash involving driverless car

Staff report, Erie Times-News

Millcreek Township police are continuing their investigation into a Tuesday afternoon traffic accident that involved a car without a driver.

Police said the accident happened at West 26th Street and Crescent Drive at about 1:20 p.m., when a 2010 Ford Focus, which was parked at Champion Ford to have snow tires put on, started up when an employee of the dealership hit a button on the car's remote key pad.

The car, which has a manual transmission and was parked in first gear, headed south on Crescent Drive and crashed into a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado driven by Charles Moyer, of Lake City, police said this afternoon.

Both vehicles were totaled, police said. There were no injuries in the accident.

Here is a link to the actual posting in the on-line edition of the newspaper. Click Here

2. APrice

APrice Active Member

Interesting supposition, but it doesn't work that way. They won't start in gear...has to be in neutral and the emergency brake has to be set. Sounds like someone making up a story to cover their carelessness.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Plus a Ford Focus totaling out a Chevy Silverado, set in first gear! Seems to me someone was not paying attention.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Not saying that this is the case but if the remote starter was wired into the car bypassing the clutch depressed switch, that just might be enough to cause the problem. Of course a manual tranny car would require this kind of wiring to operate a remote starter. My daughter has a manual tranny pick-up and the clutch must be fully depressed but there is no need to have the emergency/parking brake set and the floor mounted shift does not seem to be particular about where it is setting in the "middle ground" (where no gear is engaged) but I have never tried it with it set to first, reverse or any other gear.

As for the totaling of a Silverado by a focus, if the Focus came out from the driveway and into this 55 MPH highway, and the Silverado T-Boned it, I can see the truck getting totaled with the entire front end demolished. There were no pictures with the article so I am only guessing that is what happened.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I understand your thoughts.

Go to google maps, and enter 26th st. & Crescent dr. Millcreek Township, PA. Click on street view to the left and pan.

There is no way a vehicle could have gone onto the main road unless it drove up the hill on Crescent through the stop lights, which looks like it is south. Otherwise there is a guard rail all the way along Hwy 20, or 26th St. That would be amazing.

I would like to see photos of this accident.

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Guarantee it wasn't a factory remote or if it ws somebody jerryrigged it. Probably after market and a mickey mouse halfass install.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Yep. I see what you mean. Up a fairly long drive on Crescent to get to the traffic light and into 26th Street. Unless that car was
    Dodge-em Bumper Car, even figuring if it was parked whare it would have had a straight shot up the road, would still be virtually impossible.

The location, as listed in the newspaper article, would make it truly a miracle!

The only possibility I can see is that the newspaper blew the location since my first try at Google maps came up with a location west of the Ford dealer but with some other garage there. Looking at it, if the car was parked at Bonnel's Garage, it would be a short level shot right into 26th Street. There are two different intersections where 26th street crosses Crescent drive and they are not too far apart. My guess is that the paper either totally blew it by saying Champion Ford or there are poltergeists in the Champion lot :)

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

who ever put a remote in a stick shift is very stupid and should be held libel,,,,we will not put one in as per manufactures recomendation

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

My mother had a remote starter put on her car. It was an auto trans. In the manual it said NOT TO PUT ON A MANUAL TRANS CAR. For good reason.

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

was there snow on the ground? remote starters are pretty popular up north. you can start your car when you sit down to breakfast and then it'll be all warm and defrosted when its time to leave for work. jc whitney sells them for eighty bucks. it's an easy diy installation...

11. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My original posting has been edited to include a link to the article posted in the on-line edition of the newspaper. or you can see it here Click Here

Incidentally, I checked Snopes just now and I could find no mention of anything even similar.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I had a old Ford (small) pickup when I was in High School. I don't know if it would continue to run if started that way or not, but my girlfriend at the time managed to try to start it in first gear and jumped the parking curb and then jump a 4 to 6 inch step onto a sidewalk, where she was able to turn off switch and hit the brakes before we hit the newspaper vending machines in front of the stop and go store. That was her first driving lesson. I did not even have time to react it was so quick. Her second one was many miles out of town. LOL. break em all Jeff

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When I was a kid I had a friend that had a Corvair that had remote starting on it

He never had to worry about it starting and hitting anything, it was more of a dead battery and worn out starters because it wouldn't start, it just sat there and cranked over and over and over and over

Ah that good old days before electronic ignition and fuel injection

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I had a Ford pick up that had a phantom starter, it would try to start on it's own sometimes and a lot of times wouldn't quit you could get out and go inside and it would still be out there cranking away with the key in my pocket.

15. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

This thread is not even funny and let me tell you why !!! Just 15 minutes prior to getting on this site myself and my wife discovered that all four remotes on our 2011's due not work AT ALL. They are all factory remotes that have been perfect on both these vehicles. This has just happened this afternoon. There have been no previous problems and this is super weird !!! I used the keys to unlock the SUV and then it started ok, the doors then locked and I could not get out without lifting the lock by hand. The truck started ok but remotes still do not lock, unlock, or remote start. This just freaked me out----what are the chances? And then, logging onto this site and seeing this thread. I have not been drinking or taking any meds today! Is this what we have been waiting for--is this the beginning of something unexplainable?

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Not unexplainable Deercreek but possibly expensive. Depending on what kind of vehicles you have you might have to take a trip to the dealer and have them reprogrammed or maybe your body control modules are acting up..worst thing they ever put on a vehicle imo.

17. deercreek

I know they COULD have both gone bad at the same time--but what are those chances. They will be covered under warranty but the weird factor here - suddenly today is what is very strange.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Have you replaced the batteries in the remotes?

What's going on is weird, but it could just be dead batteries

19. quartering

quartering Active Member

remember that national test of the emergency alert system obama held last week? and now neither of your cars work?

20. deercreek

The "weird" is growing rapidly. I have been working the last two hours with neighbors and we are finding a several block area that remote keyless entrys and remote garage door openers that DO NOT WORK AT ALL. I tested both my vehicles and all remotes about three miles from home and in another nearby town, and all worked as they should. These neighbors are freaking out when I ask about their remotes and if they are working properly today. All evidence that I can obtain shows this started about 3-4pm today. We just filed a report with the local PD as it might well involve criminal activity or FCC violations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

using remote car starter for trap