1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Does anyone have a good formula for washing reclaimed shot? I have about 1000/bs to clean up. I use a cement mixer, I have used clorox and murphys oil soap in hot water and let in tumble for about 10 minutes and keep changing the water and it always is black, you think the water would start coming out clear after a while. I then spread the shot out on screens to let it dry, after it is dry it is still oxidized pretty bad, maybe this doesnt matter. How much graphite should a guy use per 25/bs of shot? Shoud the shot be dry when adding the graphite, I have heard of guys putting the graphite in while the shot is still wet? IDEAS PLEASE.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I use a pint of vinegar in about 5 gallons water.

You are going the wrong direction with bleach because it contains sodium hydroxide ( a base) and you need mild acid conditions to dissolve the carbonate coating on the shot.

After you get the carbonate coating washed off the shot, get it dried asap then graphite to prevent the coating from reoccuring.

3. furface

furface Member

I always dried mine first. one forth teaspoon is lots for a 25lbs, little goes a long ways. Good luck ,Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

washing reclaimed shot