1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldRemFan, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I believe I once read where some people have washed their empty compression formed Remington and Winchester hulls. Has anyone had any experience with doing this, either good or bad. I just acquired a couple of boxes at a local flea market and they are pretty dirty from just sitting around for years.

2. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I've had good luck washing them in a net laundry bag. I used just a small amount of liquid laundry soap in the washing machine. There will still be a fair amount of water in the hulls after the spin cycle. Just shake them out thoroughly before putting them in the dryer. I only ran the dryer for about 10-20 minutes then dumped them onto a flat surface and let a fan blow on them to completely dry them. Worked pretty well. I was shooting some lower pressure old Red Dot loads that blackened the Hulls significantly. Good luck.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Hang 'em outside in the sun on a breezy day in that laundry bag. Don't forget to shake the bag periodically. Avoid the clothes dryer because it flattens the case mouths a little. Makes for beautiful cases!!

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Waste of time. No need to wash them. Can't be good for them. You guys must have OCD. Shot them till they split thats it. Dave T.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't wash them on purpose but I have dried out wet STS hulls. (too pretty to trash) I put about 250 in a mesh bag and threw them in the clothes dryer with a few junk towels for about 20 minutes on low heat. They came out looking very nice and they reloaded without bloopers.

If I were to wash them I would deprime them first and put the same mesh bag full of hulls in the clothes washer and go though the gentle agitation cycle with a little Dawn dish soap and rinse but not spin dry.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have done it many times. Have a load to do now. Only worth it if they are special & 1 time fired. These are early God Medal Flying Ducks. Put them in a big bucket,add some soap,swish good. Run the hose in there & swish around a bunch. Spread on clean sheet of cardboard to dry in the sun. PS Always deprime first. Helps to get rid of water

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

What kind of dryer sheet should be used? Is there one of those odor reducing sheets that smells like a fired Federal paper? I won't do that until..

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've never had to do it but, I think I would take RunGuns approach. That should work good enough. The washing machine seems a bit overkill to me. Some dusty old shells is no big deal just reload them. If they are full of wood chips, motor oil, metal turnings and kitty litter from being in a shop or garage, just trash them.

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Again,I have never had a problem with the way I suggested above. Gotta deprime,so that is an extra step. Winter is bad also. Can't do this except with all plastic hulls. May be a rust situation with steel headed cases,never tried any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.