1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

washing hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sean justice, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

any ideas, want to go to laundry mat, should i put in with old rags.

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

In my opinion, washing hulls (and drying them) is a lot of work with possible adverse side effects and very little, if any, benefit. It certainly isn't NECESSARY and doesn't in any way improve the performance of the load.

Why go to all that trouble and risk duds and misfires just to keep the exterior of the shells slightly cleaner? I don't plan on sticking the loaded shells into my mouth or eating before washing my hands, so I don't see the need to wash shells and can see several reasons NOT to do so.

Easystreet

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

By all means, don't bother.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Uh...what???

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hulls should be washed very carefully and throughly. Put them in your kitchen sink. Fill the sink with hot water . Make sure the temperature is between 140-155 degrees F. Fill the sink with 2.4 gallons of this water and add 3 ml. of Dawn washing detergent. This solution will wash 75 shells. Use a 20 ga. barrel wire brush to clean the inside of the hulls. This should be in an electric drill. Hold the shell firmly under water and turn on the drill at full speed. Next, use a battery terminal brush to clean the outside. Next, rinse the hulls in hat water that is at least five degrees warmer than the wash water. After rinsing, wipe the hulls with a lint free rag and stack in rows on the kitchen counter and dry them with a hair dryer set on medium. If the hulls are not dried, the steel in the primers will rust.

Another option is to place them in a mesh bag and toss them in a washing machine. This can be great fun when the machine reaches the spin cycle.

Still, another option is to load the dirty hulls as is and shoot them at doubles and let the hulls fly.

Pat Ireland

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat, should that electric drill be submersed with the hull? Mike. LOL

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Good point Mike. I guess a drill powered by 120 V should be treated differently than a battery powered drill.

Pat Ireland

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat, I guess if you suffer from A-Fib the electric drill may be better, it could possibly set your heart into a normal synus rythm. Mike. LOL

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I look down my nose at anyone who washes hulls. Even a rookie knows that they require dry cleaning.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pat, you forgot to put explicit instructions on how to make hat water. How are we to complete the task if we have no hat water? Maybe we can purchase some at the Southern Grand...

11. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

I don't have any "Dawn" can I use Sunlight soap instead?

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wanna have great looking hulls-try this method. Put a few hundred in laundry bags-add a little laundry detergent-use warm water and a very short cycle on your wifes' automatic washer. Spin dry and rotate bags often. Then hang the bags on your nearest tree branch on a nice sunny afternoon. Hulls come out sparkling new!!

13. laura!

laura! Member

Sean, don't let these guys mislead you (Pat, you should be ashamed of yourself).

First you must deprime your hulls.
    Next you must thread them through the primer holes with twine. I prefer to alternate green STS hulls with red AA hulls this time of year so as to give it a festive appearance. Place the hulls in the dishwasher and run on the pots & pans cycle. My secret is to use jetdry so they are nice and slippery smooth and really eject nicely from your shotgun.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Oh my gosh, whats next?????????????????????????????????????????

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why not put your shells in a case tumbler with some media (?). That should get them clean. Then put them in a media extractor. ERGO: nice clean shells, and not a water problem. Just a thought, has anyone tried this method?

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"Why not put your shells in a case tumbler with some media"

A guy who used to shoot at our club did this. His hulls looked beautiful.

To me, it is a wasted effort.

17. A23B

A23B TS Member

I have tried various methods to wash my fed paper hulls. All seam to make them come out looking like a fifth grade science project a freind of mine tried. I will admit I have not tried a wire bush inside of them yet. Guess I will shoot then three times then let them fly.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

tim99: But, it worked. I guess that's the point, for someone that wants to put the effort into the cleaning process.

19. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

first off i was given three trash cans of 1 fired hulls yesterday by my wifes uncle,some have been lying around and have little dirt and debri in them, all are aa wichestrs, sorry i asked.

20. laura!

laura! Member

Sean, hope we didn't offend you; just couldn't resist having fun with your thread. I got a couple thousand dirty hulls once with debris in them too. We did kinda wipe them off with a rag and shake the junk out before reloading them. They were a pain in the @ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.