1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

Well, you guys got me putting my 8 petal wads in the dryer, it works!, but now I hear that you can wash hulls. I realize that they can get dirty after a few reloads but how would you do this? I didn't have any trouble getting my wife to give me some dryer time but washing the hulls in the washing machine may be pushing the envelope.
    Also, I'm assuming there are some hulls more suitable to washing than others due to the wad composition.

Don

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

You can put them in a mesh bag, so they don't chip the inside of washer or dryer.

3. atadams77

atadams77 Member

ive put them in a brass tumbler with corn media. works like a charm.

4. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

A old gas dryer and put a couple of rags in with them soak with windshield washer fluid for about 10 to 15 minuted really cleans them up,be warned it is very noisy and don't hook up the gas.

5. Reinz

Reinz Member

I hand inspect and clean each one by hand while while watching TV in the shop.

Tap the hull upside down on a the bench to knock out any dirt.

Rotate hull in my fingers looking for burns and splits, feel rims for sharp burrs - if so, throw away -
    if not, rotate with Armorall cleaner sheet and throw them in the box for loading.

That's one way to get match quality reloadable hulls - and not scratch up your dies.

Good Luck

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Easy way. Deprime. Put in a big bucket,add hot water,good shot of hand dishwashing liquid. Tumble the hulls for a couple of minutes with your hands.
    Put a hose into the bucket & let it run for a bit,tumbling the hulls now & then. Pour off all the water you can,spread on a large sheet of cardboard to dry in the sun. If you don't want to deprime(which allows the soapy & rinse water to flow thru)shake them out well before putting them on the cardboard.
    No clank/clank/clank & angry wives. Large bucket holds 4-500 at a time.

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have NEVER washed any hulls!

I have better things to do with my time!

Besides, the gun doesn't know if they are clean or not and I don't care if someone sees them as I load the gun. (oh, a side note, I only reload my own empties and they never hit the ground.)

Allen

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I with the last two posters. You fellas are silly washing hulls. If mine get that bad, I throw them in the trash and grab new ones. To each his own I guess. :D

9. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

The one piece, compression formed hulls are the only ones that I have washed. I had good results by putting them in mesh bag then running them through the washer with laundry soap. I tried drying them in the dryer but felt that the mouths got beat up a little. Once I used up my old Red Dot I switched to a cleaner burning powder and didn't need to wash them.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rule #1, always make sure they're completely dry before attempting reloading them. I speak from experience!!

11. Reinz

Reinz Member

I know I am being extra cautious, I just believe that water does not belong anywhere near where gunpowder will be going. Yeah, yeah, will be drying - we all know about Mr murphy.

Like Retired Marine, I've never needed to put wads in the dryer either, just poke and bend with your finger(s) in 2 seconds.

12. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

When I discussed this at the gun club this morning, quite a few eyebrows lifted or knitted...
    no one was washing hulls. However most did inspect them and a few wipe the outsides with a rag that contained some Iosso case and sizing lube cleaner. He felt the hulls so cleaned are easier on his dies.

Me? My hulls never touch the ground so they are pretty clean. I use only red Winchester AA Heavy hulls which have come from my case purchases of shotshell ammo. I shoot Clays which is a very clean burning propellant.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

We know who is putting black fingerprints on the club house door.

14. oleolliedawg

It sounds funny but washing AA's really pretties 'em up. Done well and they look like they just came from the factory!!

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

#1 Rule do not wash PAPER FEDERALS.

Be sure and deprime for good drainage before washing.

Use JOY dishwasher soap and be a happy shooter.

TIDE Tides in Dirt is out.

Irish Spring for nice smelling reloads.

Borax the 20 mule team power for the big loads.

Dawn for an early awakening.

Swift for faster re-loads

Iron Out for Steel re-loads

There are a lot of others for different results, this is just a few I have used over the years,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I thought that was what those little tines are in my dishwasher. I put one shell on each tine.

Works better if they are deprimed. ;-)

Hauxfan!

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I ain't voluntarily allowing any water near my reloads.

18. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Years ago a friend of mine and a friend of his went to a laundromat, after to much boozy boozy and dumped a whole thingyhouse of empties in the washer. They got away with the washer but when they put them in the dryer the owner that lived upstairs thought the place was going to fall down. He came down and tossed their rear ends out. They never did get the hulls back.

19. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Shell washing is not for everyone. Some guys like to get dirty, handle, reload and shoot, dirty shells and what is the use of talking to them any way. They are just too busy and may not clean the gun either. This is not for them.

Some shooters do not think anything is good unless it costs a lot. Shell washing is free. So it is not for them.

But I like a clean gun and clean shells.

I am also cheap. So I shoot reloads. Before reloading, I clean and dry empties in the Maytag. With the regular wash. Yes, at the same time. I use a nylon net mesh bag that holds about 150 empty shells and toss it in with the rest of the wash. Pull the wash out and the bag, after cleaning, and toss bag and all in the dryer. That is it.

If you do your own laundry this will take about 15 seconds more time. Some are too busy, so I understand.

Free. Don't need media. Do need dirty clothing. If you never have any, this is not for you.

I do not deprime before cleaning. No need to. Shells come out of the dryer warm, clean inside and out and the brass is polished. Ready for the MEC. I said I was cheap.

Been washing for 20 plus years. Shoot 8 to 10,000 rounds a year.

But this is not for every one. If you like grime and dirt, forget it. If you do not know how to run your washer and dryer, do not try this at home. If you know how, but the boss will not let you, this is not
    for you. This will not make you a better shot. And yes, your gun won't know...but you will.

20. oleolliedawg

charles nails this one. Too many guys are overwhelmed by washing machines-some may not even know where it is in the house!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.