1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wash garbage

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Old Confederate, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

The thread on wearing seatbelts got me to thinking about another thing the government has thought up to see if the public will do as they are told. Where I live it is now against the law to put plastic drink bottles in the garbage. Nobody has decided how it will be enforced. The bottles have to be washed and recycled. Water is supposed to be our most valued resource and we are told to wash garbage. How ridiculous! Larry

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We just throw them in the recycle bin. The wash inspector has not been around yet.

HM

3. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Why not drink water from the tap and save yourself about $300.00 a year.

SW

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Wow...what a novel idea, drinking water from the tap.

We have a Brita system that is kept filled in the refrigerator and we fill portable, reuseable containers.

Only use the bottled type water occassionally.

Curt

Recycling should be mandatory everywhere (just like seatbelts)

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We're supposed to rinse tin cans before putting them in the recycle bin.

I finally said enough is enough with gov't regulations. My time is more valuable than that. So instead of recycling they just go in the garbage can now and get buried at the dump.

Get this. We're supposed to be able to recycle our used motor oil. Simply put it in a milk jug with a screw on lid and the garbage man will take it. Except mine constantly kept getting left behind. What the ???? So now, if it doesn't get picked up, it goes in the trash can.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Very good "Recycling should be mandatory everywhere (just like seatbelts)" A very novel idea.

Just like mandatory health care and Mandatory waiting periods to buy a gun. Absolutely we need more mandatory money making schemes for the government and big business. RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

7. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

My used motor oil gets recycled as liquid edger. The rest gets burnt in a 55 gal drum and the ashes dumped in the ditch. :)

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I read in the local paper that we are going to what's called "one stream" garbage. Everything goes in the same bag and it's seperated at the garbage dump. No more seperate containers and seperate trucks just for recyclebles.

Eric

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I cannot answer about cans and bottles, I do not know for a fact. But I do know about used newsprint that is collected for recycling. When the warehouse is full of newspaper bundles they try to sell it. If they cannot get enough money to pay for the hauling costs to a place that actually needs it, they load it in a truck and take it.....to the landfill. Once I saw that was a fact, I quit stacking, bundling and hauling paper to the recycle station.

Just more meaningless "feel good" government regulation.

10. mperkins

mperkins TS Member

congradulations MR.D if you are pouring used oil in your yard and have a well then you are recycling, you and you family are drinking it.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Top number one recycled material of all?

Bet you can't guess.

Its steel.

Just about EVERY piece of new steel has a large percentage of recycled material in it.

Recycling is not a bad thing, guys. Just an inconvenience. Some day, trash landfills won't be "just an inconvenience."

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Recycling in a evolutionary process. As time goes on it will become more mainstream and the driver won't be that it makes everybody feel good about saving the planet. The driver will be that it makes good economic sense. Right now there is some money in it for a few, eventually that will trickle down to where the consumer realizes that they are able to get in on the savings.

By our gluttonous nature though we generally won't change our ways without some kind of direct reward. If you compare successful manufacturing facilities with those that are loosing money the main difference you will find is the amount of waste. In a well run operation, the feed materials will have a fair amount of recycled low cost material and any non-product waste streams are sold to other manufacturers at nominal costs...little to nothing goes to a land fill.

13. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Recycling is good for the environment and it is also a very profitable business. The only person that doesn't make any money at it is the people (us) that are putting it to the curb for pickup. I recently toured a paper mill that was using old newsprint and magazines to make new newsprint. There was one warehouse at each end of the mill for the two different types of paper and trucks where coming in dumping in each warehouse. The paper was loaded into the start of the process with front end loaders. I know the mill was not getting this stuff for free but I put it to the curb for free. If you saved your metals such as aluminum pop cans or steel soup cans and took them to a scrape dealer, they would pay you for them. Not usually worth the space it would take up but it is still worth something.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I guess that I do a pretty good job of recycling.

I put all of my food stuff (peels, egg shells, etc) in a bucket and spread it over the garden spot. Ever once in a while it makes for good target practice.

I burn my papers and old magazines in the fire barrel.

What's left over goes to the dump (no curbside pickup here).

I do keep a 20 gallon drum of used oil in the shed (from vehicle maintience). Whenever I or one of my neighbors need to start a fire they just get a little from the barrel and mixes it with diesel fuel. This is also a good time to get rid of an old tire or two.

ss

15. maka

maka Member

Look out for the govt. eco spooks. The use planes, heicopters, and satilites. I have my b barrel como. Painted it with High temp pink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.