1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was your win a let-down?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by break100, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break100

break100 TS Member

Was your win a let-down? We've all heard the complaints about the prizes, cheap, crappy, etc. but besides that we hear about shooting for the glory.
    What glory? I attended a small shoot yeaturday where the prize for the caps
    was a hundred bucks, who couldn't use a hundred right? When the shoot was over
    there was a shoot-off of each yardage winner for the hundred bucks. These
    shooters came out, like the pro's they are, shot in the shoot-off and the winner came away in the first round. My concern is what happened after that,
    shouldn't we recognize the winner? No announcment made over the PA that was
    used all day, couple guys around the bar that said good shooting, but other than that not much recognition. I just think it's a shame we don't show a little more effort in the accomplishments of the folks that won. These guys
    are not big dogs, just the bread and butter of the little clubs around the
    country that are paying the bills and keeping things running for now. We want
    new shooters to the sport, but how do we show it when a guys goes through the
    nerves of a shoot-off, Wins, and leaves the club with not many knowing his accomplishment? If this is a new guy or a young person, will they come back simply because of the Win? or will they look for another sport with a little more recognition? I was NOT the shooter and had nothing in it, other than the observation I just made. I just feel even if the prizes are junk we need to recognize the accoplishments of the winners.

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

If the club goes out of their way to recognize people that shot well at their club, they are more likely to shoot there again and so will others that see what the club does for the shooters. YMMV. Scott

3. Shawn

Shawn Member

I think it is great when a club makes the effort to call everyone together and hand out the prizes.

It also a good time to thank all the participants for coming.

You can also recognize all your volunteers and the trap help.

Don't forget to remind everyone of your next shoot date and encourage them to attend.

Shawn

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's not a football game. Anyway, most people don't hang around for the shootoffs unless they're in them, so who's going to do the cheering?
    The way to give recognition to the winners is right here on the internet.

Fred Redmon maintains a website, Tarheeltrap.com, and every week posts the winners in the North Carolina shoots, and often shoots in South Carolina and Florida.

Bill Radwan post the results of the shoots at Glen Park Izaak Walton in Merrillville, Indiana on this forum -even if there's only three or four shooters.

That's the way to do it.

5. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I'm no longer shooting at clubs that charge 28.00 or more for targets and have absolutely no trophies to win. That is nothing more than expensive practice. If the only award you get is a punch, what was the point?

6. grl

grl Member

For what it's worth, the Florida State shoot had GREAT trophies. Buckles, glass, silver, and lots of leather.
    Great assortment, good job folks!

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Every win I've had in trapshooting was wonderful...some of the prizes...not so much...but the prize in secondary to me.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

In my opinion, nothing can top Earl's Big Lots trophy and his wife making fun of it when he brought it home. He had me laughing so hard one night telling that story I was crying. If I remember correctly he said he registered 7500 targets before getting this "prize." LOL!!!

-Gary

[​IMG]

9. Mac55555mn

Mac55555mn TS Member

when i look at the small prizes ive won i can almost remember every shot that day . well a few of them anyway . memories are part of the deal. a pat on the back never hurts. Brad

10. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I am fortunate to hang with a group that makes you feel like a million bucks when you trophy (and when you dont ;^)). You probably are too, and what really matters other than that?

K

11. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I have often wondered that as well, I wondered why there was no trophy presentation at registered shoots. We have a trophy presentation at the end of our club league, it feels good to be recognized in front of your peers for any accomplishment, as long as its good anyway!!! The only downfall to a trophy presentation at the end of a shoot is the time issue. Shooting mostly Sundays makes it hard, being home at a decent time keeps the wife "happy"....

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

The Alaska State shoot is the ONLY shoot I have attended where they handed out the prizes at the end of the day in front of all gathered in the clubhouse! Nice Job Alaska! Wish I was going back this year! Frank C.

13. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I always thought that the Grand dropped the ball a bit on awarding the MAJOR trophies. Wouldn't it be cool to have a podium trophy presentation before the national anthem each morning in front of the event building? Champs and runners-up maybe.

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Years ago I shot the best I ever did, tied another guy during the NJ state shoot. I was new to the ATA and was going to that shoot to get more targets in for the Pa State shoot. First they put me in penalty yardage and shot from the 22 1/2 yds. The two of us tied 4 times in the shoot off and the lights starting to go out. We were then told about a 10 curfew. So they flip a coin I lost. The guy that won, got a four box cloth carrying case, and I got a mug holder with the year on it and the Letters
    "NJRU" New Jersey runner up. And I was given another yard. Went to my state shoot at the 23 1/2 yds and could hit a barn door. Never went back to Jersey

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Good idea Ron.

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

No not a let down in fact rather pleasurable, still remember (the few) of them that I won and even some of the shoot-offs & flips that I lost. I don't shoot all that much so maybe that's why I remember. Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while. Ross Puls

17. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I have won a few shoots most are for no prizes but on the inside you know you were the best that day. I always like to look up and see my name in T&F pretty cool to be listed in a magazine. One day to be on the cover. os

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is winning a let down