1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was told I can't restock my Benelli Auto - Clarify

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DTrykow, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Was told I can

Morning Everyone:
    I was hoping to dive deeper into Why I was told I can't re-stock my Benelli Auto. I have a Montifeltro Benelli 12ga with plain wood. My Golden Retriever
    died so I decided to 100% engrave it in her honor. I did that, then was moving onto restocking. I was stopped. Fred Wenig called my stock guy and said the heavier stock would counter-act the inertia recoil system, that Benelli has, and turn my gun into a single shot. True or False? Their stock is lite and hollowed out inside. I still would like to upgrade.
    Any thoughts? Dave T.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fred sold his buisness years ago- how long ago did this conversation take place?

Call Benelli

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Five years ago. He said he had experience with this happening to other Benelli's. Dave T.

4. g7777777

I know Benellis are very suseptible to how hard you hold them- too light or too small of a person and you have a problem

anything is possible- but I suspect that the mass differential in people is much greater than in small shotgun stocks

one thing you could do- is weigh your current wood and weight to your new wood to match by drilling a small hole or adding weight as needed

The question is why spend all that money of a custom stock on a gun that isnt going to be worth any more= probably less when you are done=
    the stock may cost several times what the gun is worth?

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Thanks Gene:
    I will weigh the stock but hard to weigh a blank. I'm a walnut fanatic and their wood looks/feels like balsa. Got to be a big difference in weight. Afraid how much I'll need to bore out to match. Not worried about value. Would have never started this project if that were the case. A freind of mine suggested filling up my current stock with lead shot to see if it works. Still may do that. Thanks, Dave T.

6. g7777777

You would weigh it after it is finished and then adjust the weight of the new stock to the old stock- so the inertial effect would essentially be the same-

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Wenig told me the same thing on a Benelli M1 12/20 set. I wanted to put English on both guns.

I've added shot to each stock to simulate the weight of wood. No issues with cycling.

I havent bought the wood yet, if you get to it before I do, make sure to post your results.

TY

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

TY:
    I'm a few years out now. I was hot to get it done, this took the wind out of my sails. I think I'll call Benelli. Hopefully they have a maxinmum stock weight that we can go by. They must have experiemented to get it right and use some guildlines making stocks today. Dave T.

9. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have a Benelli left hand montifeltro that I re stocked 9 years ago, shot dove, ducks, pheasants and geese with no problems cycling. I had Wenig to cut my blanks and I did all the work on them, I never weighed or matched stock. thanks Ronnie

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Interesting Ronnie: I was/am trying to restock the same gun. Dave T.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What a smart shotgun!! It can tell whether a stock weighs 12 ounces or 12 pounds!! What a crock and I ain't buyin none of that nonsense! Nor the gun if that's true!!

The rear portion of the bolt supplies the needed inertia to work the action, not the stock? Would that mean this model wouldn't fire if the butt was placed against a concrete wall or the gun hung by a string?????

Hap

12. emm2

emm2 Member

I would like to see a picture of the engraving you did for your golden retriever.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

East question to test. Simply fasten a few pounds of something to the gun and see if it still works as an automatic.

Hap- Some of the recoil energy is used to overcome the inertia of the gun prior to its moving backward and some of the recoil energy is used to drive the bolt back. If the stock is heavier, then the force required to over come the inertia will be greater leaving less energy to drive the bolt.

Unfortunately, most guns have an abundance of recoil energy.

Pat Ireland

14. Hap MecTweaks

So Pat, what your saying is, this model gun wouldn't operate the bolt if held against a brick wall?

Hap

15. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Never had a Benelli in my hand to test it, but I have heard they won't cycle if the butt is held against something solid like a brick wall.

The link above has an explanation of an inertia operated action.

James

16. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

My local guy stocked a monte feltro 20 ga. with fancy wood--NEVER a problem with it. Just have it stocked to your dimensions and eliminate the washers and giant hole!

17. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

In the past we have restocked about a dozen Benelli's. Two of the guns that were restocked were turned into single shots. With no gas assist to help with ejection of the shell the gun would not cycle with anything less than a 3-1/4 Dram load. Both customers ended up cutting off the magazine spring in the stock tube and that made them work again. About two years later one gun came back into our shop for a warranty repair and replacement. A new customer bought the gun and took it duck hunting using 3" field loads. With the increased pressure the bolt was blown back so hard it cracked the receiver and the new owner wanted me to replace the firearm. Since we had a letter on file that was sent to the original owner warning against doing the shortening of the spring action we were not at fault and no claim was awarded. The original owner ended up giving the guy back his money to buy another gun. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't just be aware of what might happen if the gun is restocked with a solid chunk of wood.

Dennis DeVault

18. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks for the info guys! Guess it must kick you to operate this mechanism, not one of my next guns to own for sure!

Hap

19. g7777777

I think the problem is not with a brick wall but with someone that holds it loosely

or someone that shoots light loads

or maybe someone that has light wood

Momemtum = mass x velocity

just a thought

But again these guns in my experience do malfunction quite a bit and maybe this is part of the problem?

regards from Iowa

Gene

20. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

emm2. IF I could figure out how to post pictures on this site I would be glad to show you all. They show up very small. Well sounds like it's hung jury. Dennis: It's one of Mike's chunks of Royal that I would like to put on her. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to restock a benelli shotgun