1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was this shooter treated fairly??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

At a good sized registered shoot some years ago, nature intervened (Big Time) and the handicap event was cancelled. However, about half the shooters had already finished prior to the cancellation. A shooter I knew had played the money and was high gun at the time of cancellation with a score of 97. I know nothing about the entry fee money, other money, etc but I do know the shooter with the high score received nothing.

Well, I shouldn’t say he received nothing. He didn’t get any money but he DID get a yardage punch for his 97.

Booger

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You snowed in or what?

Curt

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I was at the Spokane Gun Club in 1980 when the feature Handicap Event was cancelled after half of the shooters had finished because Mt. St. Helens erupted. All the money was refunded to the shooters. The scores were not registered for shooters like myself who shot in the very dark conditions. It took 2 days before the highways were opened for travel.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's unfinished business and should not have gone on for this long.

If I was the shooter I would be ringing someone's phone.

HM

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I shot at the Grand in, I believe, '99 (100th Anniversary) and so many shooters showed up that they had to cut one of the handicap events down to 50 birds. I shot a 47, got a 1 yard punch and an "attaboy" too. I was delighted.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The fair thing to do, in my opinion, would be to return shooter money and fees, but keep a basic target fee for shooting 100 targets. Declare it a practice shoot and get the heck out of there for safety reasons. What is the ATA regulation governing this??? Fred

7. miketmx

There is no ATA rule; it was a Shoot Management decision.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

When asking if "the shooter was treated fairly" you also have to ask was the club treated fairly?

Pat Ireland

9. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Miketmx…You said: "The scores were not registered for shooters like myself who shot in the very dark conditions." Does that mean part of the shoot was registered and part of it was not?

If that was the case, I can see why the shooter was upset. His targets were registered and after playing the money and shooting the high score, he didn’t get paid…yet he did get a yardage punch.

I can also see how this could have become a very confusing issue for the club. It isn’t every day a shoot is interrupted by a volcano erupting. Glad I didn’t have to make a decision on how to handle it.

BB

10. miketmx

None of the Handicap Event scores were registered although the scores for the morning Singles Event were registered. I know that I got all my Option money refunded but I don't remember about the Handicap Event Entry fee. The reasoning behind the Shoot Management's decision was written up in Trap & Field probably August 1980 issue. Our kids were little at the time. I remember looking out the Motel room window at a guy walking down the street with a painters Face Mask over his mouth and nose; he pulled the face mask down just long enough to get a good drag on the cigarette he was puffing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.