1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the remington 90T made by Kolar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kelly andersen, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Saw an add for one and it said they were made by Kolar for remington, If so were they the same quality as a Kolar.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

yes they were made by kolar under contract from Remington

GunDr can provide the most info of anyone on here about remington and kolars relationship. Doug, wasn't kolar also slated @ one point to produce parker side by sides for remington?

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Kolar did build the 90-T for Remington. Remington quit building them because of the cost.

Dr.longshot

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I thought all Remington 90T 's were built by Kolar,Racine Wisconsin. And it was gentleman from Remington that overseed the 90T. His name escapes me. But I saw were he was working for someone else in a trade magazine most recently.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Tron:

The Mossberg rumor doen't apply to 90-T's. It's a reference to Kolar's competition shotguns - sometimes referred to as "Wisconsin Mossbergs".

sissy

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Kelly,

Just to weigh in on the matter. Kolar did in fact build the gun for Remington. It in fact was one of the first guns to be solely designed on a cad cam program. The way the stock attaches to the reciever was dictated by Remington. Absolutly the strongest trap gun out there. They are built like a tank! "GunDr" is the guru on this site for all things 90T. He worked at Kolar when these guns were being produced.

ec90t

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I'll toss in a few comments on the 90-T.

The first three proto-type 90-T's, were design completely at Kolar Arms. Be cause of a few other projects we (Kolar) were doing at the time, Kolar approached Remington. For Remington to accept Kolar to manufacture a few changes were made. Remingtin helped with the aspects of metalurgy, pressure testing, and insisting that there was a safety installed. A dozen more proto-types were built and taken to the Grand for shooters to try.

The original contract called for 10,000 guns. It was my understanding at some point, Remington went up for sale. Because the mark up wasn't very great, they discontinued the gun and had a "garage sale" on everything remaining in their inventory. As with many corporations....it was a lot of financial "mumble-jumble" that I don't understand. In the end, approx 3800 guns were made.

Wood attachment to the receiver was Kolars idea.

Skeet_man,

We did build a dozen Parkers for Remington...from scratch. Again, it was my understanding that Remington approach a few other shops also, but Kolar was the only ones to produce anything. Remington wanted to use the same trigger design as was founf on the 3200. We at Kolar didn't care for it. The Miller trigger was much better. After the 12 protos of the Parker, Remington shelfed it for the same reasons as above.

In my opinion (as unbiased as I possibly can be), the gun is probably the strongest shotgun ever on the market. There aren't too many of the smaller manufacturers that are willing to destroy, and at least, make an attempt to destroy several guns as Remington did.

Were there some problems, sure. But I believe every attempt to correct them has been made. The forend shoe breaking, and the gun popping open while shooting in the rain or snow. I don't think there's a gun manufactured anywhere, that didn't have a few issues early in it's production.

If anyone has a question about their 90-T, or any other gun for that matter, I'll be more than happy to talk. My mind is getting a little fuzzy with regards to the exact serial number range and dates of production for a perticular gun, but I'm sure I can be within a year or two. It's been ten years now that Remington officially ended production, and about 11 since Kolar stopped.

Doug Braker

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Doug,

Thanks for the correction about the stock fitting. I was told that Remington wanted it to attach the same as a 1100 or 870. I guess that I got fed some false info.

ec90t

9. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Thanks guys, I was just looking at one on gun broker and he had said it was made by kolar. I was just curious if it was true. I didnt know alot about them. Do you think if someone was to purchase one would kolar install a high rib on one???

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Kelly,

It would be much easier to buy a factory high rib model. They had a factory adjustable rib. They are sometimes listed as an HPAR (high post adjustable rib).

ec90t

11. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Kolar won't provide any production information, in case any of you decide to inquire. I sent an email to them in October, and John Ramagli replied, stating that Remington had all the production records.

I own one that is just slightly older than Doug Braker's. Mine came with two barrels, both with the same serial number as the receiver.

It's a great gun.

Best,
    Dennis

12. 2shot

2shot Member

I believe the man who designed the 90T for Rem. was Don Malin.

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Don Mainland....owner of Kolar Arms.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

So it aint just the regular run of the mill Mossberg than ... sorry I just couldn't stop myself.

15. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I looked at a new remington(cant remember the model) o/u last weekend at pheasant fest. Told the remington guy they should make the 3200 again and he said he hears that hundreds of times at shows and they get a ton of letters asking why they dont make them again. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat.

16. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

The over under you saw at the pheasant fest was probably a Spartan which is a Biaki (sp) Russian made. Heavy and strong, with the worst triggers out there. Ben

17. oletymer

oletymer Member

Tron,I think Mossberg makes the receivers for Beretta autos.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

No no no no ... Stoeger makes the receivers for Beretta autos. Mossberg makes the receivers for Kohler.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Kohler?

Don't they make toilets?

Sorry...couldn't resist.

20. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

The link above was the one at pheasant fest. Nice gun, but not a 3200. I'd like to shoot one though just to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.