1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was playing with my pink wads today...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yes, No, No, and Yes. I've actually done some of the silliness you describe. One test over the chronograph that will interest you was with 4 different samples of 10 shots each. All had a load of 700X, Winchester primers, old style AA hulls, and CB wads. Tests were run over an Oehler 35P chronograph.

#1 was with very well used hulls, but no pin holes, in AA shells but with individually hand weighed powder and shot loads The powder and shot loads were based on the average dropped from my 9000H loader. #2 was the same kind of hulls and run through the 9000H at normal speed and with no special effort for consistency. #3 was once fired older AA hulls and individually hand weighed powder and shot loads. #4 was once fired older AA hulls cranked through the 9000H at normal speed and with no concern for consistency.

The sample with the lowest standard deviation was sample #2 by a good margin; single digit SD while the other three were low but double digit SDs. 2nd place was #4 and the two samples with hand weighed shot and powder loads were 3rd and 4th. The SDs of all four samples were not remarkably different and would have satisfied me as good to better consistency and the best compared to the worst individual shots were within reasonable differences within any sample I've ever run.

I had made a full box of each and burned the extras on clay birds. None of the samples felt any different from another and they all broke targets well. My conclusion was that consistency in how we operate our loaders has more to do with overall consistency than all the anal concern over hull condition, wad weight, and perfect weights of shot and powder. However, I can anticipate and already agree that if I were to repeat this test 5 times, the results could well be different each time - The differences were simply not that remarkable...breakemall....Bob Dodd

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

TShooter92,

Those things would all be good loading techniques to insure uniformity----->if you were going into benchrest trapshooting.

John C. Saubak

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Cowboy I cracked up when I read your comment. Maybe you have thought of a new sport.

Forrest

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ahem.......Pink wads are for skeet. Using them on a trap field is akin to singing"YMCA" when you call for the target.

HM

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Half_________

I am man enough to w--- oops shoot what ever I want so let us manly men (and the Gals to)

us shoot what we are happy with. Times are tuff the extra rounds might let me shoot with out breaking my bank, that makes me happy.

Make me unhappy and I will jump up and down while you are shooting, that will make everybody unhappy.

Al

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

T Shooter.....I can relate to that! I play with mine sometimes to........Just throw 'em up in the air and see how many I can catch fo they hit the ground!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Al, I shot the Kachina Open when Jack August was running Black Canyon. went there for 19 years running. (Spring Grand and Chain shoots too) Hope to get back in the AZ groove soon.

Die, you scum sucking skeet!! DIE! DIE! AAAHAHAHAH!

HM

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Sorry! You are right! Was just yanking your chain a little! I got to get a hobby or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.