1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was lucky at Gander Mountain

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by len loma, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

Was on a mission Good Friday looking for a shot gun for my young daughter to learn shooting with. Was going thru Gander Mountain gun rack looking for an automatic Remington. Found a 1100 with a new syn stock with Limbsaver recoil pad for $269 dollars. It was ugly as hell. Some one spray painted it in a goldish tan paint then a flat black some time later. Heavy coats of paint with big runs all over it. Even the bolt and trigger was caked with paint. Checked out bore and it was spotless. Can't buy much for that price so I tipped and bought it. Planned to have a local smith re-blue it and cut down stock.

Gunsmith was going to do some guns next week so I decided I better get stripping the paint. Brushed on paint stripper. Looked for some steel wool but was out. Let it sit and paint bubbled up. Took a tooth brush and started removing paint. The bluing was like new. Deep rich blue. No blems any where. Now the trigger assembly is painted from factory so I figured the stripped would ruin that. My luck it didn't even phase orginal finish. Finish was in perfect condition.

Why some would would make a nice gun look so ugly is beyond me. My daughter will have a beautiful gun for $260 that will last her a life time. Nice feeling getting lucky.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

rem trigger guards are either anodized (old style) or powder coated (new style), hence why the stripper didn't hurt it. Congrats on your find!

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

it's about time someone got a good deal at the mountain.
    steve balistreri

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Nice deal.

5. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Now that's what I like, a deal hunter who's not afraid to get his hands dirty.
    Congratulations!

I sort of agree with Steve about the hen's teeth comment, as in, good deals there are almost as rare. They are more like a "Sporting Goods Museum" here, than an actual retail outlet.

6. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

it happens once in a while the guy at gander said if they buy or take trade they can only mark up so much last yr i got a mint 870tb trap there the guy at gander that bought it thought it was field gun i got it for $210

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.