1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was Grand Attendance UP or DOWN?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Newport 90T, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newport 90T

Newport 90T TS Member

Does anyone know if the attendance at this year's Grand was up over last year or down?

Just Curious.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Kent,

I hope your right for whatever reason, but from the daily numbers that were being gathered I don't think so ... I have little doubt the weather had something to do with it, being Arizona hot with high humidity cannot help much ... Hell, when the humidity gets up in the 30's here now I find it uncomfortable, so I guess I am acclimated ... To eliminate the guess work and games the ATA should post the numbers whatever they may be and leave it at that ... There are no excuses or need to defend anything now thats its all been done ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

According to members of the BOD I talked to it was down by about 15%. Several pulled out due to the blistering heat. Talked to some that said higher gas/traveling expenses had caused some of their friends to stay home this year. Noticed they were not using the last 3 banks this time. GAH had a pretty good showing. I think some folks came for the last 3 or 4 days.

4. crbtsb

crbtsb TS Member

Thursday's Remington H'cap entries were 2,274 if I remember right. I didn't see Friday's numbers. Both days squads numbers were 500+, however not an accurate figure of how many squads shot, with the last 3 banks of traps not being used. I got conflicting reports as to why they wer not used. Heard lack of help, lack of entries and I am not sure why????????
    I was only there 4 days, but had an enjoyable trip, even with the heat!!!

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Lack of help. Based on last year, didn't need them anyway.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Well, we have one "vote" for Vegas and one against Sparta, guess we'd better pack up and move. Seems reasonable.

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The Grand is at Sparta for at least 8 more years come h--l or high water....you guys need to get over it. I dare say most readers are getting tired of the whining.

Buz

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Should the sub j's and the j's have their own grand in Aug. and the rest of us in Sept.?

Not practical, me thinks.

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

World's Trapshooting Championships" could be held in a cooler place. Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun.

Actually, the Grand will stay in Sparta until the money's all gone and then somebody will conclude it was a bad idea in the first place and devise a workable plan for a national shoot - providing anybody is still interested.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

down as told to me by the trap people.

11. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Don't forget that Gasoline and Ammunition play a big part in some budgets. So if attendance is down because of that - it would be down anywhere.

Heat can always play a factor for some...

Ammunition is still not very plentiful - and - at the prices that we were use to paying...

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Let the kids shoot over Labor Day weekend and then have prelim week start the day after Labor Day. It would be a little bit cooler anyway.

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

586 squads on friday for the grand handicap. I believe most were full squads. Not sure why they did not use the last three banks. IT REALLY WAS HOT motordoc

14. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Thats why the Grand couldn't be built in Amarillo cause its to hot in August. Allen

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Some of you just can't wait for actuals to jump on and start trashing the ATA. If it isn't the heat, shell costs, fuel prices, motels or target costs some of you will find another reason to not go or trash the ATA. I think you will find that most don't really care what you think and your continual whinning. Grow up and move on if that is necessary.

Don

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

BIGDON- Why do you always seem to trash someone who is expressing their opinion? Disagree, defend your OWN position, cite evidence etc. are accepted ways to debate. Not that anyone cares but honey catches more flies than vinegar. If you don't like the thread contents don't open/read/respond to it.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

You are quite correct Jerry, seems like most opinions are not permitted on this site. Perhaps they should become moderators so as to have the final say....

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

18. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I spoke with shoot management and they indicated the numbers of attendees was up, however, those there were picking and choosing what to enter not shooting all events as much due to the heat. It was record heat for the area. Not Sparta's fault. That could happen anywhere. Other than the heat, I will say the event was run smoothly........the help was good......the water was cold and kept out there.....the traffic was allowed to come and go as it pleased which was a HUGE improvement......all in all, it is coming along. If they added SHADE tents or other types of seating and shade at EACH TRAP that would be the biggest help I think. Something in the lines of what either Nebraska or Tucson has......and different benches.....those benches from Vandalia are shot.....and not the most comfortable.......oh, I guess I am a spectator, so I would be the one to notice that! LOL........Even the pay lines were manageable on the worst day....moved pretty quickly. Same for the classification. Anytime you go to the worlds largest shoot, you know you aren't going to walk right up to the window as a general rule! who would even think that? lol........

Thanks to all in Sparta......and to the ATA.....great job!

Lorna Hull
    and the entire Hull family.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

To eliminate the guess work and games the ATA should post the numbers whatever they may be and leave it at that ... There are no excuses or need to defend anything now thats its all been done ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Zarawhatever,

I can see where this would or could be mistaken as trashing the ATA but only if those that take it as such are defending something that does not have to be defended ... Its a done deal, the ATA is locked into it for the duration of the lease and good or bad the ATA and the membership will have to live with it and that includes all members not just the ones who attend ... The ATA's bottom line has an impact on all of the members when they total out the yearly books not just the Grand attendees ... WPT ... (YAC) ... (ATA Life Member)

20. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Numbers will be misleading this year. I for one do not like numbers but they do have storys associated with them. I saw squads of one and learned first hand that all to many shooters wanted to shoot in perfect conditions. Many withdrew because the wind increased, the wind changed direction, it was hot, it was dusty, etc. We shoot outside and therfore we are in a dynamic sport and should enjoy the dynamics. I was on the line when a front passed and the wind switched directions and blew at least 25 mph. We asked for the trap to be reset and kept shooting. I missed a few that moved on me but it is my job to hit them all. Next year it could rain every day and then watch the numbers.

If it rains the grass will be green and the mud deep.
    See ya next year come heat or high water.
    CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.