1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Was asked ID for buying shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by traptraptrap, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traptraptrap

traptraptrap TS Member

How many people has been asked ID buying 12G shells in Walmart?
    I dont remember if I was ever asked one before even Dicks.

2. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I stopped at the Walmart in Sparta yesterday after leaving the Grand and was asked for my ID when I bought a couple of flats of shells.

hubcap

3. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

WalMart here asked if the .22 ammo I was buying was for handgun or rifle. They wouldn't say why but I'm guessing it makes a difference if you're 18 or 21 for the purchase. The gestapo is keeping track apparently.

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

asking for I.D. for ammo or alchahol is a Wal-Mart company policy, they dont care how old you look, they want to see an I.D.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Many companies have this in their policy. In Wisconsin, there is a chain of stores called "Fleet/Farm". They will ask for an ID when you purchase ammo. Also, there is a grocery chain, (Pick N Save) that checks you for an ID when purchasing alcohol. I witnessed a woman who had to be at least 80 checked for an ID when she purchased a bottle of wine. I understand policy; but common sense needs to prevail when dealing with the policies intent. Ed

6. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

if im not mistaken, they have to enter a birth-date into the register when purchasing ammo.

your seasoned cashiers will just enter in a date they know the register will accept. your newbies & those who have a few mistakes already will play it by the book.

7. John55

John55 Active Member

Yep, all of us IL residents have to have the FOID card to purchase ammo or guns. And, no handgun or ammo sales to anyone under 21.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

In our neighborhood (Kansas City and surrounding areas) Wal-Mart has an automatic prompt built into their system, such that whenever ammunition is scanned, it gives an audible "beep" and asks the cashier to check the buyer's ID to confirm the buyer is at least 18.

When I hear the beep, I always tell the cashier, "yes, I'm AT LEAST 18" to which they usually look at all the gray hair, laugh, and say, "of course you are."

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been carded when buying adult beverages and just figured it was because I look so young, never thought about it being company policy ... I have never been asked for an ID in the State of Arizona when buying ammo, just if its for a hand gun or long gun and I change that every time I go and buy some ... Wanna see my Model 12, 12 gauge pistol or 9MM shotgun ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Sportsmen Warehouse up where I live (NorCal) asks for my birthdate every time I buy shells. They have to punch the date in the register to complete the transaction. First time they asked I was pretty surprised, now it's a matter of routine. Only place I've ever been 'carded' for shells!

11. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I have never been carded for ammo, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.....

Jim C

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nope, just asked for my ATA card at the Sparta Walmart....

13. Alaskamodel12

Alaskamodel12 TS Member

Years ago I was asked for identification in a KMart when I was buying a couple bricks of .22's. I dumped 500 .22's on the floor and walked out. If harassing law-abiding Americans is supposed to make us safer then we are headed in a very dangerous direction.

14. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

They were determining your state of residence In state,(Illinois)requires FOID for purchase. Out of state does not.
    Dan

15. twopipe

twopipe Member

what about foreigners, like ME ?

16. flylta

flylta TS Member

In southwest florida the wally worlds always ask. I like buying snuff, beer and ammo all at once then I only have to show my id once.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Walmart and dicks and every place I go, Firearms ID and Pistol permit for pistol ammo.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

timb99 did the cashier look at your ID? You said that the register had a build in audible "beep" in the Local Wal-Marts in this area every item has a built in audible "beep" it is the register recording the price of the item. In this state Massachusetts the register asks for a permit (LTC license to carry) and that is after you have already showed it to the associate in sporting before they will unlock the display case to get it.

Bob Lawless

19. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

"Years ago I was asked for identification in a KMart when I was buying a couple bricks of .22's. I dumped 500 .22's on the floor and walked out. If harassing law-abiding Americans is supposed to make us safer then we are headed in a very dangerous direction. " <----thats just silly.

yup...its a conspiracy. they're out to harass you. LMAO!

20. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I agree with you, Devil's, it WAS a childish thing to do. You can't blame a store for wanting to know who's buying ammo, as well as their age, and where they are from. ....Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.