1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Warrantless Searches in Boston

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by HSLDS, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure what to think of this...

Police SWAT teams apparently went house to house in Boston searching for the bombing suspects. This was warrantless searching of private property. They removed the residents at gun point and then searched.

I presume there is some domestic security law that might allow for this while chasing terrorists (Marshal Law?? - I do not believe it was declared there), but it justs hits me the wrong way - deep down and to the bones...

-

More video here:

-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2313249/Boston-bomber-search-Moment-SWAT-teams-ordered-innocent-neighbors-houses-GUNPOINT.html

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Public safety -

Slippery slope or can be

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Looks like a house full of students or a Frat house. All of which looked the age of the suspects.

The scary part is a bunch of jacked up cops with guns, way to much adrenaline happening.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

391 shooter,

Look at the other videos and photos - it's mom's with kids, older people too.

5. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

This is how it is going to look in New York and the other states when they decide to confiscate firearms. California already uses this approach when checking the homes of convicted felons or other "who should not have weapons".

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

SWAT members should have asked the owners if they could search the houses. A NO answer could be countered with a Judge immediately available to sign the search warrant (provided one could get off their fat/overly important ass and be ready to do their duty). There was plenty of manpower to watch each place and they missed the area by several blocks in hindsight.

Someone made a rather important speech about "Jack-booted thugs" entering without probable cause! I thinkin' we are here. What next??......merlyn

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

merlyn,

Truth be known no judge would sign off on those warrants - you MUST have probable cause, and like it or not the idea that a suspect is in the general area will not satisfy this requirement.

Do you recall the Duke lacrosse rape scandal?? The DA wanted DNA samples from the entire team and everyone else who was at the party - this would have definitively proved who the culprits were.

Judge would not do it. Probable cause was not satisfied.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's pathetic that one 19 yr old punk can immobilize a metro area the size of Boston

But it's all for your safety

I was watching on the local news in Dallas yesterday, they had some a hole holed up in a house I counted as many police cars as I could but they changed the picture before I got all of them counted but I got to 46, and the reporter said there were also 3 armored personnel carriers

What would they do if there was a real crisis, call in some B 2's?

9. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Each Judge has an opinion (as do we). Sometimes we are disappointed with that opinion -- I sure have been!!

When the Highway Patrol stops a car on the highway and requests to search the car, what happens when the car is "dirty" and the driver knows it and refuses? They catch quite a few "mules" in this part of the country.

I'm not for the forced entry anymore than I am for ANY abuse of the law (or over-enforcement).......merlyn

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Probable cause would be the bomber has a hostage in that household and that is the reason they are denied access.

Considering the circumstance I see no reason to get a warrant but with the guarantee that no other charges be filed at that time and in the future if they had noticed anything illegal during the original search for the bombing suspect.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The door to door warrantless searches are extremely troubling. Yes I know they needed to catch the little creep right now but you can also see how this sort of thing can go horribly wrong.

Imagine if a couple of dark suited guys came busting into your house some night. If it happened to me, I bet my dogs would get shot and probably me too.

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

And so it starts...

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has begun......

Jerbear

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Broken in Boston

2nd amendment
    3rd amendment
    4th amendment
    10th amendment

And that is just MHO

Chuck

15. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The various law enforcement agencies active in the search for the bomber, have demonstrated that the ends justify the means.

The 4th Amendment was inserted to the U.S. Constitution for a reason. The government, acting on the basis of pubic hysteria, adopts totalitarian methods searching for a suspect? That's exactly what the Founding Fathers feared.

One only need to look into 1930's Germany to see this type of behavior in action.

That doesn't pass the smell test, and neither does it bolster the "exigent circumstances" argument.

16. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

What?????

no reply from 548 !!!!!!!

I dont think I would like to be ordered out of my home at gun point. It seems that laws can be broken by police in the name of public safety. I would bet obozo would say they were justified.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How would you like to be in that situation in Chicago or New York. Some radical Muslim is running around your block after killing some people with a home made bomb, his brother was killed in a shoot out with police, and you can't protect your family on your own property, or home because of some gun laws.

Gun laws that prevent you from protecting yourself, while the bad guys ignore them.....DUH!!!!

18. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Merlynstrapguns...
    What law enforcement does is ask permission to search your vehicle.If you give them permission, you are waiving your right to 4th amendment protection and anything they find may be used against you. If you refuse to give it, they have the option to safely hold you for a "reasonable amount of time" to bring a drug dog to your location to go over your vehicle in an effort to establish probable cause for a warrantless search.
    I've been stopped on the Interstate on my bike. When the officer asked permission to search my saddlebags, I advised him that I was not giving permission. He told me "you know I can keep you here and get a dog"..I told him I did know that, and that would be fine. As I explained to the officer:"Rights are a lot like muscles...they have to be exercised now and then, or they go away". I believe he understood that, and at some level respected it as well.
    We were both able to behave calmly and professionally. He called for the dog. The dog failed to find anything to justify a search and I was allowed to go on my way. No hard feelings on either side.

What we saw in Watertown was a clear display of just how fast a frightened population will WILLINGLY hand over their rights under the U.S. Constitution without so much as a whimper...if they are scared enough.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If anyone hear has heard of The Patriot Act. If you read it you might just understand how they can search without a warrant.

Bob Lawless

20. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

So while the police were busy taking people out of their homes to "find" the suspect, not one cop bothered to look in a boat that had a cover over it?

Think about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.