1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

warning to dog owners

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ricks1, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I know many of you have dogs. DO NOT let a vet give your dog Rimadyl. It is for pain and arthritis. This effects the liver. There is many side effects and they can be fatal in 36 hrs. I know I just lost my 12yr old chow on her birthday. The vets make big bucks from Pfizer to sell this shit. I am entering the class action suit against them. Dont let any vet tell you it is safe. Ask him if he makes anything off it . Answer will be NO. Ask office help you get the REAL story. Hope it saves yours , It didnt mine ,till I found out what the side effects were too late. rick

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I have news for you !!! Good dog breeders will tell you NOT to let the vet give all those shots they say they need. Only one they give is rabies. I lost a $2000k doberman ( 3yrs old )whose liver failed within days of getting booster shots.They said they can't prove it was the shot but when I contacted the breeder she told me all about it.The breeders are losing dogs this way too and many now give their own shots-only the ones needed. Some dogs can handle the shots,some can't. Good luck with your suit-hope you win but I am doubtful.

My dog filled up with fluid from liver failure,had surgery to explore the liver and the nodes were small and hard. Before that the vet always said how nice & healthy he was.Had him from a pup,great dog,huge loss. Never a single health issue in 3 yrs until he got a series of shots,days later it started.Happened last year Memorial day weekend when it started-try to get a vet on a holiday !!!

good luck..........

3. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Sorry about your loss. We lost our Chessie on April 1, 2008. Michael and Jane

4. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Ricks1
    Sorry for your loss. I have a Black lab that I have been giving Rimadyl to for about a year and a half. It has really helped her. I have had her liver checked a couple of times and everything seems to be fine. She is 11 years old
    with bad hips.She is doing much better. I do not give her all the shots only rabies. I stopped the shots years ago. But now (after reading this) I am feeling parinoid and am going to call the vet to have her liver checked again.
    I knew right from the start of her taking Rimadyl that there could be a problem
    but it has seemed to be OK so far. I'm getting on the phone right after I post this for an appointment for her at the vet. Once again sorry for your loss I know losing my dog would be devestating to me also..Philly D

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

My old Chessie would go to the medicine cabinet and sit down until I gave him his Advil for his pain. Ibuprofen works quite well.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Pregnosone is a steroid that seems to relieve arthritis without the side effects mentioned above. But like all medications there will be some side effects. We use a small dosage every other day to stimulate appetite for Addison's disease [along with injection]. Sorry for your loss. Fred

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

rimadyls problem is that it can be fine for quite sometime but it can turn in a matter of hours. It is not as good as other types or drugs. As you may know liver failure is most likely death.rick

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Here is a link from the ASPCA that says not to give your pet Advil Ibuprofen. This is very dangerous for your pet. Baby aspirin seems to be the safest I can find, but if anyone has a better product Please let me know. I have an 8 yr old border who suffers from hip displaysia.

Here is the link for copy and paste

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/toxbrief_0704.pdf?docID=2383

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Buffered aspirin seems to be the safest according to several vets I have spoken to. Fred

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Rick, you have my sincerest sympathies on the loss of your dog.

When our 9-1/2 y/o malamute was having pretty serious arthritis issues earlier this year, we took her to the vet to explore our options. Amongst them was the Rimadyl. With that said, our vet was not keen on putting her on that due to her age and the frequent occurrence of the liver issue side effect. We weren't thrilled with it either.

Instead, she recommended a supplement, Dasaquin, which is a cousin of Cosaquin. It's specific to arthritis and joint therapy. It's quite pricey, but I'll tell you - it made a new pup out of my dog. She's back to being her lively, bubbly self. Good appetite, walks proudly, takes the stairs like a champ -- she even jumped on the bed a few times, which is saying something since our bed is pretty high off the floor. I've spoken to tons of people that I know in the dog business (obedience trials, training and breeders) and they all recommend cosaquin. It's quite safe, you start out with 2 a day for 3-6 weeks and then just once a day for maintenance. I can't say enough about it. I wish they had something similar for humans, rather than the expensive, experimental stuff that I have to take (with unknown side effects). I'd take it in a heartbeat. You can find both at kvpet.com.

By the way, if you ever decide down the road to get another Chow, our dearest friends are nationally known Chow breeders and I'd be happy to introduce you. They have some outstanding dogs.

Let the wonderful memories of your dog surround you, rather than the way it ended.

11. calilori

calilori TS Member

As I told you in a pm Rick, I have been doing research and will post about your loss as well as several others I have found about since. I am so sorry for your loss. Thanks for the heads up on this subject. My Chelsie has been rather stiff these last few damp mornings here. She's not quite two yet, so I'm really concerned about what to do for her. I know for a fact that it won't be Ridamyl.

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I use a product called Metacam for my 15 year old dog. he's been on it now for three years and he's doing fine. No rimadyl for me.

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

lori sent return PM there are several drugs out there that a safe. My issue now is the VET. he did not follow the guide lines that Pfizer was required to put out in their first class action suit in 2004. He did NOT do blood work first {No1 required} and he did NOT tell me the side effects{requiermentNo2} I didnt know what they were till Midnight Sunday{21} I didnt give anymore after that and she was dead Wedesday. A class suit takes years . The vets are not under the same guide lines as human Drs. About the best I will see is not paying the SOB. rick

14. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Oh browning I dont what anymore chows she was a good dog but the hair was a mess. thanks rick

15. Elizabeth Christensen

Elizabeth Christensen Member

My ex and I had an old lab that we gave Glusomine to when he could barely walk from arthritis. We would take the capsules apart and sprinkle the powder over his food. At the time, the only place we could get it was at GNC, but now you can buy it just about anywhere, just make sure that they are the capsules not the tablets. It gave him at least 2 years of comfort and he was in tons of pain before. Took a couple weeks before we noticed that he was moving much better. I'm not a big fan of any kind of perscription meds for dogs as well as people unless absolutely necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.