1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

warning to dog owners true !!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

    striper Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    264
    Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

    Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

    Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'
     
  2. Ahab

    Ahab Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,651
    Sheeesh!

    Chocolate is deadly for cats and dogs! See the URL posted. Theobromine is an ingreient in all coacs...and will kill them!
     
  3. KEYBEAR

    KEYBEAR Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,222
    Had a little house dog about 28 lb. One Easter my wife hide the candy the night before . Next morning I seen stuff all over the floor the dog eat two big Chocolate rabbits . It was sicker then a dog all day .
     
  4. buckwheat

    buckwheat TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    156
    Stinky, our Irish Wolfhound, blew through 2 1/2 LB box of FANNIE MAE'S a couple of years ago on St.Valentine's Day. The only negative effect other than a PO'd wife, was Stinky crapped wrappers for a couple of days.
     
  5. Bob Schultz

    Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,749
    Location:
    Tuxedo NC
    Cheap milk chocolate, found in most Easter candy, contains relativly small amounts of the the theobromine chemical,(Lots of wax!). Dark or baker's chocolate is deadly to dogs. It will shut down their kidneys and they die a slow and painful death.

    Bob
     
  6. blizzard

    blizzard Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,583
    Slug Bait is also poisonous to dogs. It makes them crazy first, then they vomit like mad, foam at the mouth and will die. I saw this first hand. We got the pooch to the vet in the knick of time. He gave her some kind of antidote and she made a full recovery.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.