1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Warning, another scam alert

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by W.P.T., Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Subject: ////////CASH BACK SCAM PLEASE READ!!!!\\\\\\\\\\\

It happened at Wal-Mart (Supercenter Store #1279, 10411 N Freeway 45, Houston , TX 77037 a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it. I said NO!

Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up..

At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right.
    The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. Obviously
    the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me me $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford , DE Wal-Mart last week.
    She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK! My co-worker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????
    To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

I got this message in an E Mail from a friend and just want to pass it on, be careful out there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Well, I will too, but . . .

Neil

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's another.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I did not confirm it but it makes sense to me that some people would try anything ... I was just passing on a message that could come in handy to some people ... Personally, I will start checking mine closer also ... If it works for you use it, if not disregard it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

ATM card is cash but don't take up as much room in your pocket ...

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

WPT just a point of interest on your Walmart receipt not far above the point where it says # ITEMS SOLD is a reference number or Ref # this number tells those in charge a mountain of information including the register # the time of day and who the cashier is at the the time of the purchase.

If there is a scam going on then this is the best way to find a path to those that are responsible for it. Just by looking at the the reference numbers they could see who the cashier is that the problem occurred with and check his/her numbers the ones that are doing the scamming will have the most cash requests in a given work shift for everyday that they work. Just some more information to pass along to your friend.

Bob Lawless

6. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Why don't we all just get back to doing things the old fashion way.
    USE CASH
    Pete

7. Neil Winston

I think the snopes report is interesting because it says there's a "cash back" button on the console the customer uses to sign the charge on and it's easy to push by mistake. I'd never heard of such a button, but I guess it's there and it makes me wonder why it would have been designed to promote mistakes rather than prevent them.

Neil

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Neil,

The screen asks if you want cash back then you have to either push the yes or no button on the keypad, if you push "yes" then the screen displays set amounts like $20-$40, etc or you have the option of punching in almost any amount. It's not a one button operation.

Eric

9. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Why don't we all just get back to doing things the old fashion way.
    USE CASH
    Pete

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would of posted this even if I would of checked it out because it sounds like something someone with a criminal mind would come up with sooner or later ... I like the convience of having the ATM card because I don't have to carry as much cash or write a check ... I carry no balance on any of my cards so the billing statements are very easy to make sense of ...

Thanks for the additional information Ivanhoe, looks like I will be paying more attention to the receipts from now on just in case ... What the Hell is this world coming to ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

WPT It is even easier for them to get away with if you are using a Debit card which is the only type of card I have or will have. Credit cards are just trouble the kind I won't have.

bakergun you use what ever you want I will do the same. You are beginning to repeat yourself why don't you give it a rest.

Bob Lawless

12. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

why don't you give me a answer

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Hmm interesting. Are you saying when the machine asked if you want cash back (20 40 60 etc) and you push NO than the cashier can somehow over ride that and keep the cash. New one on me. Guess I'll be watching more closely too although most of the time I glance at the receipt.

14. Neil Winston

Snopes says the cashier can't over-ride your instructions, but if you are like me, who has signed thousands of those machines without looking hard at what's going on, or noticing that there really is a cashback button, I wonder how much we've left in cashdrawers across the country.

Neil

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm not sure if the cashier can over ride the cash back or not, but I will not be taking any chances from now on ... Like Neil says, makes you wonder ... It would no doubt be a lot easier to fix it right then and there if it does happen ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I brought this alleged scam to the attention of my wife who does all the shopping in our tent. She reports that she has, twice, had a cashier give her "cash back" when it wasn't requested. She admits the possibility that she mistakingly hit the wrong button the first time but has been very careful since including the second time. In both occasions though, the cashier handed her the receipt and the cash without trying to keep the money in any manner. She checks receipts closely so it's unlikely something will sneak by her diligence.....Bob Dodd

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chck your grocery receipts if you want to find errors. wrong charges are there very regulally.

18. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

It's pretty clear from the Snopes entry that this "scam" falls under the heading of "Urban legend (untrue)" - see http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp.

There are lots of credit card scams out there, but this isn't one. Note that the Snopes entry quotes the message at the top of this thread almost verbatim - right down to the WalMart store number! This one has been in circulation since last July.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.