1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ware should you focus be in trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Correct spelling, is very important. It definately improves the quality of your hits. HMB

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Dave, you are correct in that everybody is different. It may depend on where your hold point is on or above the house. Soft focus is going to be different for different people. Maybe a foot above the house;maybe 4ft. above the house.Try to determine where you see the target most clearly. DO NOT focus on your barrel.Steve

3. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

Copper,

There are two schools of thought on where the eyes should focus when shooting trap. The first thought is to look below the barrel and the other is to look above the barrel on a parallel plane where the pattern should be. The only thing in common to both techniques is to focus in an area where the target becomes whole and clear. If the current method you employ allows you to see a whole and clear target instead of a streak then stick with it, if not then you will have to change your eye focus area until you get the desired results. I personally hold a moderately high gun and look above the barrel for the target. Most of your top shooters look above the barrel, like Harlan, Phil, Frank Hoppe, etc. and then there are some who look below the barrel. You will just have to experiment.

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Your focus should be ON THE BIRD. Only.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

On breaking the targets as amny as you can

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Code5coupe gave the best piece of advice you can get.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Have you done a lot of bird hunting? Do you look at your barrel or sights when doing so? When I first started shooting trap I had a hard time with premounting the gun. I actually shot better low mounting or pretending Im bird hunting. I did finally get used to premounting the gun. First thing is to get your eyes on the bird, My focus can be best described as (like I am driveing) not focused on anyone object, looking ahead and being ready. I must agree I see the barrel in my perrefrial vision I focus on the target. Things I remember from learning bird hunting. 1 get eyes on the bird 2 plant your feet 3 track target as gun raise to shoulder BANG follow through. Was also taught butt belly beak bang, I found that only works for high flying ducks or geese. Follow through with the shot and keeping my head on the stock are the 2 bigest improvements to my game.

8. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

HMB certainly does not stand for "humble."

Good Question Dave! As other pros say, "get your eyes out there." This means look out in the field where you can get a wide view. It may be viewing the center stake or it might be a general look at the horizon. You need to find what's comfortable for you. On your call, focus on just one part of the rock; everything else will come naturally if you got the other shooting skills.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Britt Robinson had me focusing about 10 feet in front of the trap house.....he recognized that I have good vision, pick up the target very quickly, and have great periferal vision after watching me shoot.....

10. romie

romie Active Member

I have been shooting for 4 years so I am not an expert but I have just started looking at where the target comes out after reading somebodys book and I don't remember who I think Frank Little..I shot my first 100..It seemed to make it easier.I have been trying the soft focus theory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where shoul i focus when shooting trap