1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wards Hercules questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rebeldog1, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

I was given a Wards Hercules(probably a Harrington & Richardson)single barrel 12ga with a 34"barrel that simply has choke stamped on it.From the serial number all I have found is a probable production date of 1953.My questions are were simple checkering on the pistol grip and fore end common on simple guns of this time,H&R guns now don't have that,and what does choke imply?Was a 34"inch barrel common for guns of that period?Could it have been a waterfowl model with a full choke?I understand these are not collector guns,just too many were made and even then they were cheap.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Probably some variety of a "long range" goose gun or something like that, I think Mossberg made some like that also, maybe theirs was a bolt action. Some that I've seen were called LONG TOMS. Try pushing a 1pc. wad up the bbl. with your cleaning rod that will give you an estimate of the choke. Ross Puls

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You sure that isn't a Stevens model 94. Savage/Stevens made a lot of the Hercules guns for Wards. Stevens had checkering. Measure the choke, or try sticking a dime in the muzzle. 0.727" was the bore on those, so a full would be around 0.692" to 0.700". I don't know how common the barrel length was.

Wayne

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

They were usually 36" in length from what I remember. Its probably full choke and the dimecheck does work on these old guns.

5. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

I also have a H&R Pardner single barrel made in 2007,the Hercules looks almost identical to it,unfortunately records from what company made those guns are almost nonexistent.I was just curious as to whether anyone here might have more information or owned some of these guns.The only difference between new and old is the breech opening lever on the Hercules is like a newer double barrel or single barrel trap gun like a BT-99.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wards hercules model 10 choke

wards hercules model 10 parts