1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanting to buy a camping trailer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by InsureGuy, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Evening to all. This last weekend I was invited to go camping with a group of guys from high school. I had always tent camped before but this weekend I stayed in a very nice 29 ft a/c conditioned camper.

I am thinking that I might start looking into a camper myself. I am however a total novice. I am looking to this forum to help me understand what things I need to look for. The perks and the pitfalls. What does one need to look for in searching for a new/used trailer. I can pull it with a 2000 Lincoln Navigator. It's on a 3/4 ton frame with a tow package it's listed for up to 7200 pds.

I'd like your feedback.

Jason

2. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

have a buddy here in missouri with a palamino 32' with 2 slide outs a/c and all the goodies for sale . he is asking 14,500 for it call me for more info if interested 816.386.5551 dave

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

We've gone from tenting to popup, to small hybrid, and just purchased a 26 ft. JayFeather from Jayco. Will be happy to answer any questions.

You mainly need to decide what type of camping you will be doing the most. Dry camping (no hookups) or full hookups. Children? Spouse?

Bruce
    kb1iix@arrl.net
    (Vermont)

4. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Dave - that's probably a bit more than I am looking for. I am looking for something along the the lines of a 24-29 ft rig. Trying to keep the weight between 4500 - 6000 pds. Just looking for a short time I think a nice one these with full hookups could be gotten for 7500 to 9000. I am just not sure what I need to be wary of when looking at a used unit.

Jason

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Depends how much you will tow and where you will take the trailer. How many people will be with you? Consider the weight of the loaded trailer, not its dry weight. You are wise to try and keep the weight down below the maximum; trailers "gain" weight due to cargo and liquids. Don't skimp and get a good equalizing hitch and state of the art electronic brake controller, e.g., Prodigy. For "light" use, a stick and tin trailer is fine. For heavy duty use, e.g., snow skiing, hunting in cold weather, etc., a fiberglass, or at the least, aluminium framed (vs. stick and tin) trailer would be better. I am partial to fiberglass trailers with the Bigfoot brand being on top. Also, sometimes you can find an OLDER and restored Airstream, but that is out of your price range as you state. If you are in the So-Cal area, I can refer you to a good trailer shop to set up the hitch. Have fun and good luck!

David

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Things to look for and to look out for. Roof Air, a must have, be sure it works. Gas, elect refrig., freezer, make sure it works, a new one is well over $1000, a rebuilt cooling unit is about $800. A slide out is good, really adds alot of space. Make sure the slide does not obstruct access to the inside when in The bed should be accessible from both sides. A couch that makes into a bed is okay for a secondary bed but the unit should have a dedicated bed. A useable bathroom, some are so small they are useless. The newer the better, 10 yrs on the road is a hell of a beating. Go as big as you can, they are all to big when not being used and to small when you are using it. GOOD LUCK

7. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

There is a 24' Coachmen for sale, on here now. I have not seen the trailer, but I know the seller, and she is first class all the way.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Make sure the roof is in excellent condition with no leaks rot or water damage.

Somtimes you cand find water damage by shineing a bright flashlite all over the interior ceiling, make sure the frame is rust free. Make sure the slide out works good. {don't buy one without a big slide out, makes for much more space and comfort.}

Check the tires for dry rot cracks, and lube the bearings sraightaway and have the brakes checked.

Interest paid can be Tax deductable as a second home if you live in it for 2 weeks a year and over 26' in lenght.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If your towing max is 7200 lbs I suggest that you pull a max trailer of 4320 lbs or less. Unless of course your just pulling local, like that ever happens right. Max pulling is everything in your Lincoln and your trailer. This is people, food, all supplies, and water tanks and misc. The sticker on the trailer will be weight without anything on it. You still want to be at least 25 percent below your total after all that. Or you will be rebuilding your tranny after just a few years, even if its got a cooler. Dealers tend to push there Max numbers to limit on local driveing only. Its much cheaper in the long run to stay at a 5 star hotel even if you use it 3 times a year. Maint. and insurance, depreseation, time to prep before you go and time to clean it up after you get back. Plus parking at a lot if you can't keep at home, or the space it will take up at home. Think about it. Its fun at first, but then!!! Break-em all. Jeff

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Double check the water heater....they have a tendency to either crack or blow after storage.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I prefer camping to the hotel life by far, I cook my own healthy meals, sleep in my own clean bed, rest in AC bettween events,change into fresh clothes, take a shower...etc. I carry spare shells, guns, tools and plenty of extra clothing, books, dvd's.board games and cards. I have stayed in it so many nights it feels like home no matter where I may roam.

I have a dog that also loves his home on wheels and that can be a problem finding dog friendly hotels- AKA-kennel, I can accommodate the wife in comfort while I shoot, I get lots of sleep as everything is ready and I'm on location and squaded.(no morning scramble to load the car, find breakfast, drive to the shoot.}

I enjoy sharing "after the shoot stories", good food and drink with other camping shooters and friends that drive up for the day.

I like camping, I like shooting, so the two go hand in hand for me and my little family.

I bought my RV right and did not go into debt. Shop hard and be selective. I don't wieght into what's cheaper, Motel Vrs RV, I go with what is more convenient,clean and comfortable for my family needs.

My camper entertains 8, feeds 6, sleeps 2!

12. coho

coho Member

i would have to agree with pull& mark. i had an s&s cab over - way to small. they are built to fall apart and cost you money just sitting there. i got rid of mine after the hot weather here in wyoming caused the glue around the windows to melt causing most of them fall out. i just stay in a motel now, its way cheaper and much less frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.