1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted; Youth 20 Gauge for Lefty

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cbat, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbat

cbat Member

My 11 year old would like to start shooting trap. He is on the small side so needs a lefty youth model in 20 gauge.

His first time shooting was a few weeks ago and missed the first 4 clays on the first station with a o/u 28 gauge (gauge a little small and I also hate to cut the stock down). A gent lent him an 870 youth (right hand) and he then proceeded to nail 14 of the remaining clays.

So if anyone has\knows of an inexpensive youth model that will work please let me know.

2. BT 99 Plus SS

BT 99 Plus SS TS Member

I bought my boys a Beretta 3901 Target RL.
    It is a semi-auto with a adjustable comb and length of pull youth stock.
    The only problem for a left hand shooter is it is right side eject.

3. cbat

cbat Member

Thank you for the input.

We have looked at the Beretta but is not made for the lefty.

The kid is only 65 lbs and that is wet. He has tried a 12 gauge but that was a little much for him. Although I might be able to load some light loads and see if that helps. One of the problems that I had was with the weight of the barrel. It is very hard for him to hold up if longer than 28 inches. Will take a look at the youth Bt-99 though.

Thanks
    Cbat

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Coming from a lefty, Do not buy a left handed gun, They are no differant than righty except, chamber on left, less part avalibilty , seem to break more. Im convinced that Lefthand guns are designed by Righthanded people, therefor doomed from the start. If your looking for a trap gun a micro BT99 is a great choice or next would be the beretta 3901 RL the most adjustability right out of the box. If hes looking at the target he will not be bothered by the ejecting shell. IS HE LEFT EYE DOMINATE< please be sure Of his EYE DOMINACE. if he is right eye dom, get him shooting righty NOW both eyes open. If he is true lefty eye dominate and kefthanded Welcome to the right side. Good luck.

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've got a similar situation with my son, except my Johnny is smaller still. He picked up a 410 pump at Gander and loved it. 12 inch lop and 20 inch barrel. I've resisted his requests to buy because I don't think he'll hit anything with it, like you've reported with a 28. My plan is to duplicate these dimensions in an 870.

A friend at a club gave me 3 boxes of 12 ga. 3/4 ounce reloads. I looked for a 3/4 oz bar, but Gander didn't have one so I'll have to pick one up thru Mec. I shot one of these shells the other day and they are super light and I broke the target just fine. Personally, I think a slow 7/8 oz load would work too, but that's next. We're doing this in steps.

I've got an 870 with a scuffed up stock and I'm looking for a shortie barrel - a house sweeper I think they're called. Used to have one, but sold it. The plan is to put a choke in it and see how it performs. The 20 inch 410 is surely choked and must work reasonably well. I've heard you can have a choke put in for $100.

Right now he's getting used to school again and still skate boarding, but it's coming. A few things have to fall in place and we'll be on the range. Will have to check his eye dominance. Johnny is left handed too.

Joe

6. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

My 6 year old has been shooting a 20 ga. Stoeger o/u for the past few months after moving from the .410. It is the only youth model o/u that I could find and he has had great success with it. He routinely shoots 16's and 17's but threw in a 20 this weekend from the 16 and a 19 in caps.

It comes stock with 22 in. barrels and a 12" lop. You can buy it at Dick's for $329. He has shot over 2000 targets with it so far and we went through 1 firing pin. It is the Stoeger Condor Youth Model. Take a look and see.

Bill Yost

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have a Rem 1100 LT-20 youth for sale. Basically brand-new. 13" LOP, 21" barrel, I think it has 4 chokes, box and paperwork. Asking $525.00 plus shipping.
    Thanks,
    Dave T.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm a left-hander that has shot RH 1100s for 40 years. With shooting glasses I don't think your son will have a problem with a RH youth model. Mine didn't.

BTW - I worked with some Scouts at a public range that had several youth model guns. Some were 1100s, some were fixed breech 20 gauges (very cute). The Scouts using the very light fixed breech 20s started complaining about the recoil. Recoil from a 20? I tried a couple of shots with those guns. They were brutal. I was surprised just how brutal.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think the best option for your young shooter is the Beretta 391 with an adjustable stock. 12 gauge is the way to go here, just use 7/8 oz or 1 Oz shells. The safety on the 391 is easily reversed. The only right handed thing about the gun is that the shells come out that side. That is not a problem though, just wear eye protection as you would for any shooting activity.

I am a lefty and have been down this road. Really what matters most is that the stock fits the shooter and the gun controls are easily manipulated. The other important consideration is recoil and that is where the 391 with lite loads shines. More so than most 20 gauge guns.

Above all, stay away from the short barrel low cost 'youth' models offered by most makers. These guns really do kick and what ever they offer in size reduction is not going to help your young shooter enjoy the target shooting sports.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think the best option for your young shooter is the Beretta 391 with an adjustable stock. 12 gauge is the way to go here, just use 7/8 oz or 1 Oz shells. The safety on the 391 is easily reversed. The only right handed thing about the gun is that the shells come out that side. That is not a problem though, just wear eye protection as you would for any shooting activity.

I am a lefty and have been down this road. Really what matters most is that the stock fits the shooter and the gun controls are easily manipulated. The other important consideration is recoil and that is where the 391 with lite loads shines. More so than most 20 gauge guns.

Above all, stay away from the short barrel low cost 'youth' models offered by most makers. These guns really do kick and what ever they offer in size reduction is not going to help your young shooter enjoy the target shooting sports.

11. Sam T.

Sam T. TS Member

Please check your email - I sent you some info on a 20ga youth I have for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 rl lefty