1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted to buy: .223 hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob31, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob31

bob31 TS Member

I'm looking for a rifle for my 10yr old daughter to take deer hunting this fall. Preferably a .223 or comparable give me a call if you have one. 816-694-5857. Thanks

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Don't know about your state but many jurisdictions ban hunting deer with a .223 or any other 22cal. weapon. EE is right, .243 should be considered minimum. If she is not competent to handle a full house .243, I believe she should wait a while longer. You are to be congradulated for spending quality time with her and introducing her to our heritage.

Robert

3. newcastle

newcastle Member

nothing less than 243 here in MN.

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

My daughter turned 13 last year and went to hunter safety class and I bought her Deer tag. I let her shoot ground squirrels with a 223 and when we went deer hunting I gave her a 25-06 with a good recoil pad and she didn't know she had a different caliber! We used a harris bipod and she shot her first buck at 215 yds with one shot and never felt any recoil.She never realized it was a 25-06 either!The 223 is legal in some states and if your daughter is a good shot it will work. I myself would prefer a bigger gun for several reasons, But if the deer is standing still and you have a good rest,let's say 100 yds one shot in the head will do to trick.Good Luck PJ

5. hairy

hairy TS Member

Newcastle, I believe they changed the rules this year. Now .223 is legal in the rifle zones.

Still too small.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Have available a MK10 mini-mauser in .223, email me if interested. This is a downsize gun, good for smaller people.

HM

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

With a good hit and a good bullet, it will harvest venison. Winchester's 64 gr Power Point factory load is made for game. If you handload, Speer makes a 70 gr semi pointed bullet that has been around a long time and will work. Nosler makes a Partition in 22 cal. Barnes makes a game bullet as well. Likely, the young athlete will make a better shot than we can! LOL

If you have to buy new, the Ruger M77MKII All Weather is a good one. The above Mini MK10 action should be in a jewelry box instead of in the woods. A truly fabulous piece of machinery.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Cant say about the .223, but I can tell you that one in the "boiler room" from a 22-250 and their legs turn into jello.

9. oz

oz Active Member

you can kill one with a 22 cb cap but it is not prudent/efficient. try an ar clone in 6.5 or 6.8mm. oz

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I too am thinking on a 223 auto for hunting/ target shooting....stuck between a stainless Ruger Mini-14 or one of the AR style guns..I know the AR's will no doubt be the most accurate,...but my wallet is shouting Ruger

11. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

This topic has been hashed over repeatedly on this sitwe. A 223 lacks the energy to reliably harvest a deer. Period. A new hunter lacks the ability to pick "that shot" and is much more likely to inflict a less that fatal injury to a deer sized animal. There are far too many cartridges on the market that are much more suited to taking deer sized game than the 223 that can be loiaded down for new hunters. A 308 loaded with a 125 grain bullet is a lot better choice than a 223 with a 69 grain bullet. 125 is not a great choice but leaves a lot more margin for error than the puny 223 round. Just because the round is leagal in you state does not make it a good choice for hunting for a novice.

JK

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Any 22 centerfire is legal for deer in Oregon. The state figures that hunters will be responsible and chose an appropriate cartridge and bullet for their skill level.<br>
    <br>
    I have some friends who hunt with 223. Generally they are hunting smaller deer in western Oregon in treelots and open woods, where shots are close.<br>
    <br>
    One of the tricks is to use a bullet that's designed for deeper penetration than varmint bullets. The problem with varmint bullets is they are designed to disintegrate violently ("explode") when they strike a varmint or coyote. On larger game, these usually leaves in a very nasty surface wound, like a big crater. All too often the animal is not killed outright, and staggers off to die a horrible, lingering death.<br>
    <br>
    The problem with these heavier jacketed bullets is that they generally are also heavier in weight, requiring a twist faster than 1:12" to prevent keyholing and large scattered groups. So, I would suggest you research appropriate ammunition first, and once you find a bullet weight, then chose a gun with the appropriate barrel twist.<br>
    <br>
    Frankly, I think she'd be better served by a 243 or 7-08. Have a muzzle brake installed if you have to, along with a good buttpad. In fact, Savage makes a youth rifle meeting this criteria in those cartridges plus 308.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    Model 11FYCAK Youth with AccuTriggerâ„¢ and Detachable Box Magazine<br>
    <br>
    It's a little more expensive than the wood stocked version that lacks a muzzle brake, but I think it's worth the money for the recoil reduction.

13. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hairy, your correct, I just checked the regulations. anything above .220. I haven't hunted for a long time but if I ever do it will be with my 270, not my 223. thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wanted to by 223 used rifle