1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WANTED: Soft 1 1/8 1145 fps 16 yd load - SOFT!

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by pullbangloss, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

0   0   0

Been doing some experiments for a soft 1 1/8 oz 16 yard load. Haven't found anything yet that's been really soft. However, there are a few requirements.

I will be using Federal 209A primers and windjammer wads. Also, I hate cleaning my gun so I would like a clean burning powder.

Other than that need some recommendations on powder, with grains, and hull. No Fed. paper hull since I don't have any of those laying around.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Matt Krizinski

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

0   0   0

Why 1-1/8th at 16yds?

The very best way to 'soften' a load is shoot less shot.

Depending on what hulls you have to hand, 20gn (Grn/Red) or 21gn of PB (any straight-wall) would be pretty tough to get much milder, I'd think.

You might match it with other powders, but I doubt you can beat it, however ±16gn of 700X might be a little cleaner.

Bob

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hodgdon's website link above.

Try 17.3 gr of Clays in any Remington hull w/ your Fed 209A and WJ wads.

If this still kicks too much you can try 16.2 gr of Clays to drop down to 1090 f/s.

Or you could go to 1 oz or 7/8 oz of shot.

Adding weight to your gun will also reduce recoil.

Is a Precision Fit Stock (PFS) available for your gun?

Jason

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

A straight walled case such as a Gold Medal, Fiocchi, top Gun, etc will recoil just a bit less than a tapered case.

However, to attain the same speed a pinch more of powder will be necessary.

try 17 of Titegroup in a Straight walled case with a Federal wad. Use a one ounce wad, Titegroup is very dense and make sure you hesitate at the bottom of the stroke to fill the bushing properly.

HM

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Tonite I shot 3/4oz. #8 1/2's......can't get much softer in a 12 gauge.

STS hull, Cheddite primer, 17.0 Promo, WAA12L with 20ga. .135 card, 3/4's #8.5's.

Wayne

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

0   0   0

PULLBANGLOSS I have started to shoot nothing but 2 3/4 7.5shot 1 1/8 oz loads for everything My # 17 bushing Mec throws 16.2 grs of TITEGROUP with a Downrange DRRT-12 Green wad Rem STS 209 Primer and STS or Nitro Or Gun club HULL 7.5shot It is very soft I had several people I shoot with Try a couple and it is softer then there loads. I just change the wad to a Remington factory Target-12 wad stitched and have used them same loads with just changing the wad as far back as 30yd line for annies and buddy shoots.The guys I shoot with are amazed. Low recoil and it does not have a lot of muzzle report (flip) seems in my gun it comes back into you soft. Try a pound a see for youself.works just fine for me. good shootin have fun playin.

7. pullbangloss

0   0   0

Thanks for the info guys.

Matt Krizinski

8. Nolan098

Nolan098 TS Member

0   0   0

just go 1 ounce, its as good as 1 1/8 and it kicks less, 2 3/4 dram

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

0   0   0

Autoloader

Curt

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Matt,

If soft recoil is your big criteria here, I think changing your load to 1 ounce of shot, as others have noted, is the way to go. One ounce is plenty for 16 yard targets. I shoot 8-1/2 shot, so there are plenty of pellets in the pattern.

Yes, you get more pellets with 1-1/8 ounces, but unless you really slow the muzzle velocity down, you'll still have more recoil than a 1 ounce load.

That being said, in the velocity you're talking about, many powders will work fine. I like Hodgdon Clays (which, if you go to 1 ounce, Clays works super for that application too.)

Some will claim different powders will give you softer recoil than others. I don't buy that logic. If its 1-1/8 ounces leaving your muzzle at 1145 fps, the recoil is what it is, regardless of what powder.

11. pullbangloss

0   0   0

Thanks again guys. Keep 'em coming.

My next step is to play around with a little Promo. We'll see what happens.

Matt Krizinski

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.