1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: recommendations for leaf vacuum

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sam Ogle, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

We live under the Pin Oaks, and I am in the market for a portable leaf vacuum. My old electric one quit, and I think I would prefer one with a gas engine.
    Do you fellows have a good one to recommend?

I want to stay under $200, unless there is one that is really outstanding for a bit more.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'm with you Sam, I'd like to know too. but I'm looking at a Cyclone Rake or a DR system to pull behind the mower, as my lawn is quite large.

Tractor Supply has them too, but what is junk and what isn't???

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a Sthil blower that converts to a vac mulcher. It was under $300. I have used it now 3 years and I really like it. People warned me it would not pick up like i want it to but they were wrong. I blow the leaves in a pile, vac em up and dump them in the trash bin. This sthil runs and starts like a champ too. I will never buy anything but a sthil again

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I went with the DR vac. I have used it for two years now. Works great. No problems.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It comes in a LARGE box.

[​IMG]

Some assembly is required but not too difficult.

[​IMG]

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Husqvarna 125B gas leaf blower with vac attachement. It starts and performs great in blow mode and does quite well in Vacuum mode. It's actually an exact copy of the Stihl. I have both Stihl and Husqvarna gas tools and they are both great. It really depends on how much work you are gonna do with it as to whether its big enough or not.

6. maka

maka Member

I have a craftsman leaf vac. It is gas. Has a 6.5 briggs. Push like lawn mower. Self propelled. 24" swat. Vacs and mulches. 10-1 ratio. Cost if I remember corretly, arount $4-5 hundred. Have used it 5 years. This year I have a pile of maple leafes that is 8ft wide and 5ft. high. In spring wife and I turn pile with long pitch forks. Wife uses entire pile for mulch around her flower beds. Good Luck.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You guys need to re-read the original post.

He said:

"I want to stay under $200, unless there is one that is really outstanding for a bit more."

..................................................................................................

That's why i suggested the small hand held Husqvarna 28cc gas leaf blower. It was about $145 for the leaf blower and the vac attachement was just under $50. I had one of the 4 cylcle push mower style lawn vacs and it didn't work as good as this small leaf blower i have now and cost around $400 more.

...........................................................................................

Jim Skeel,

That sucker looks like it would pickup asphalt if you wanted it too. LOL

I had a Troy Bilt lawn vac because we have alot of pine trees in our yard. I was hoping to be able to pickup all the pine cones and pine needles. It wasn't very impressive at that task. I ended up selling it after one season as it wasn't worth the trouble dragging it out. You wouldn't by any chance have tried that beast on the pine cones and pine needles would you? I'm still looking for a machine to make that task easier. Right now we are using a hand rake. The leaf blower works great for the needles and regular tree leaves but doesn't like the pine cones and i'm afraid it's gonna destroy it.

Matt

8. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

Billy goat has some great equipment. A little over what you want to spend but sturdy.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jim Skeel, How do you think that DR machine would work on picking up wads? I also have one of the Stihl blower/vacuums, great machine.

10. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Thanks, fellows. This site always has someone who has "been there, done that."
    I looked into Stihl blower/vacs, and although they are about $300, look as if that is what I am looking for. They happen to be sold where I used to buy some commercial stuff when I ran the gun club, and those guys sell good product.

The big tractor/vac looks great for an acreage, but I live in town and couldn't turn it around in my yard very easily.

I hope you all are enjoying good shooting this time of year.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The DR would do a great job picking up wads. It will pick up acorns too.

Jim Skeel

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have had an Echo blower / Vac for a couple of years. I think it does a great job. I replaced my string trimmer this summer and bought an Echo as well. Bill Malcolm

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Wish there was a solid answer to the leaf issue. I live in a suburban area and have 8 Oaks on the lot. All 60 + ft tall, it's a small lot. Just last night I put the last of the leaf bags out for the "free" leaf bag pick up. Last count on leaf bags (mulched ) is 45 which is half what it would be if not mulched. Gettn tired of this every fall, oh yeah then again in the spring!

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have an Echo two stroke blower/vac that does a good job on cleaning out flower beds etc. For the bulk of my clean up I just put the mulching plate on my riding mower and make a muching pass on the yard then I set the mower back up to bag and make a cleanup pass. This accomplishes what the DR tow behind unit does - although you do have to make two passes to get the job done.

My yard is about one acre with six big trees and several smaller tress so there are plently of leaves. I wouldn't even think of cleaning up the entire yard with the Echo - it wears you out pretty quickly and is nowhere near as fast as the mower.

The DR tow behind is a great piece of equipment and priced accordingly. I rather make an extra pass or two each year with my mower and use the money saved for important stuff like shotgun shells.

15. johnboy

johnboy Member

I have a DR which does a good job. I think the best leave remover is a chain saw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

closest place to buy stihl gas leaf blower in terre haute indiana

stihl blower vac pine needle