1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted opinions on Toyota Rav

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Doug Brown, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Am thinking about buying a used Toyota Rav, for me & the dog to bomb around the countryside with- your thoughts on mileage, performance, agility, etc. Thanks

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

My brother in law has one with over 200,000 on it. Good gas mileage, and well built.

Dave

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We just got the wife a 2011 Rav4 4WD(actually AWD) back in November of last year. With right at a year on the vehicle we are completely satisfied. I don't drive the thing much so i'm not positive on the mileage but it does at least advertised mileage. We have the V6 but i know the 4cylinder version just barely gets better mileage. Great power and handles like a dream. We have driven it through snow/sleet/rain as well as dry roads and it has great traction. Seats are comfortable(and i have a bad back) and the back seat easily seats adults comfortably. I actually can't think of one thing we have been disappointed with on our Toyota Rav4.

Matt

4. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Wife just traded her 2002 RAV in. Bought it new. No problems ever. Always got 23 MPG in city or on trips. 4cyl and automatic.

5. Bullfrog1

Bullfrog1 TS Member

I think they changed the body in 2004. The new body is longer and wider.I have owned both and like the new one better. I think you will like it. I use it to hunt in and have it in four wheel some and it is fine. I also run around town and it is fun to drive. Hope you will like it.

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Great car. I own a salvage yard and have sold every used motor and trans we ever had in stock. They sell for about a third to half more than any American motor or trans also. Thirty years in business this August. JMHO Bill

7. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

I bought a 2011 Rav V6 about 6 months ago. It gets 23.5 miles per gallon all around. I have driven it a little over 8,000 miles and love it. It is very well thought out.

8. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

I have a 2007 and have had it since new. No problems at all. It currently has 85K on it. If you are looking at the more current models, make sure to get the V6. It gets 1 mile per gallon less than the four cylinder (as per window sticker), but it is so much smoother and more responsive. I have talked with people that own the four cylinder model and they get the equivalent mileage that I get (24-26 MPG).

As far as a utilitarian vehicle, It works great. I have two dogs that ride along in crates - they fit in the back very nicely.

Ben

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Traditionally one of the highest ranked Small SUV's, year in, year out.

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have a 2008 rav 4 with a V6. Likes: gas milage is great, parks ok, very reliable, good leg room (I'm 6'3") Dislikes: the tail gate is a PITA, opens wide and you have to move the shopping cart to the side. Poor back interior lighting, brakes don't hold up well, sun visors and roof line make early Am and late afternoon driving into the sun a pain.. Would I buy another one? Sure.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Still going strong with our (well, the wife's) 2004 RAV4. And it gets 22 city and 28 highway.

The only complaint I have is that the rear door gets in the way of a trailer hitch. Especially on the early models where the lower rear bumper was part of the door. Have to disconnect the trailer to open the door. We rarely tow a trailer so this is not a big issue. But since it gets three times the gas mileage as my Land Cruiser there will be trips we'll take with the camping trailer (jeep trailer).

12. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

grntitan said it very well. I'm on my second and in time will more than likely get another. Forl what it's worth, I live in Ne and the wife and I have made several trips to Ca to visit our daughter and family as well as Fla to visit her Sis. The on board mileage tracker says 24.5 for over 50K. Sure footed, very agile and comforrtable on the long trips. Go with the V-6, which is what I have and you won't regret it.
    Bill

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I remember when the second generation RAV-4 first came out. Car and Driver said it is wonderful; a "Swiss Army Knife" of a vehicle. I imagine the V-6 AWD is an all around useful, relatively fast, practical vehicle. C&D also suggested that the RAV-4 is their favorite Toyota. The V-6 is the same engine used by the Camrary. Or is it "Camry"?

Anyway, I'd buy one in a flash if needed a small SUV. Likely an ideal vehicle for one, two people, to use to travel from trapshoot to trapshoot.

At the L.A. CarShow, last month, Toyota says the RAV-4 will have an update introduced (newer vehicle) within a year.

Oh, the original RAV-R: A knock-around-the city type of car, a car likely popular with female college students. Whole different thing, that old model..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.