1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted opinions about Promo powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks5shooter, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Love Promo weigh every jug for density and adjust bushing lots vary great savings and a great powder......Don

2. Twixter

Twixter Member

Gmag: I've been loading and shooting Promo for about 8 years now, and I've always been very satisfied with it. Don't know anything else I can say about it. Good powder great price. Good Luck and good shooting. Mick

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

gmag, I load for practice, competetion, and sell reloading supplies. I have also used and sold Alliant products. Promo is a great powder. I use it in 1 ounce, and 1 1/8 ounce loads. ClayDot is a great powder also. It is just $15.00 per 8 pound higher. Do a search under my screen name (WoodsonEnt) and you will find some of my postings on loading data and performance with Promo powder. Also check screen name PerazziBigBore as he and I have used this powder extensively.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"
    (270) 804-5454

4. coho

coho Member

I’ve been using promo for about three years now and I like it, its cheep and works fine.

5. KK

KK TS Member

GOOD BUT EXPENSIVE COMPARED SOME OF THE OTHER POWDERS.

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

To KK..

How so do you feel Promo is expensive compared to some other powders??
    Loads between 17.5 and 18.0 in STS or other premium hulls really make Rex look expensive $$. I'm curious where you are coming from with this statement. Most recently I have purchased two 8-lb'ers @ $75.80 each. When you do the math it almost can't be beat.

Thanks for your response.

Larry Addison

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I sell reloading supplies and have several customers that use Promo. They say they will not change unless they quit making it. Not real consistent from lot to lot but many other powders aren't either. 12 to 14.00 dollars less than Red Dot or Green Dot also.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If I was shooting in hot, warm or cool climates, I'd use Promo. It is a good, soft shooting powder for $65/8lb. Just be sure to recheck what your bushing throws for each lot. They vary by quite a bit.

If I was shooting in cold climates, I'd use Clay Dot @ $80/8lb.

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

zzt wrote-

"If I was shooting in hot, warm or cool climates, I'd use Promo. It is a good, soft shooting powder for $65/8lb. Just be sure to recheck what your bushing throws for each lot. They vary by quite a bit.

If I was shooting in cold climates, I'd use Clay Dot @ $80/8lb."

Those are GREAT prices! Where do you shop?

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

At a local vendor just outside Phila., PA, or at CAC Associates in Ebensburg, PA (western PA) or Richland Shooters Supply in Richland, PA (SE PA). Prices from each are within a dollar of each other. I'm told Shyda's prices are the same, but they don't sell West Coast magnum shot, so I buy everything from one of the other three.

11. trap906

trap906 Member

where in the world are you going to buy promo for $65.00??? cheapest I've seen was about $80 plus freight and haz mat

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I use both Clay Dot (24 gr bunker loads) and Promo (all other trap/skeet loads).

Excellent powders - I've been really impressed with Clay Dot as we shoot a whole lot of it and Promo is an excellent budget priced powder, zero complaints about either powder from me.

13. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Connie's has Promo on sale 32 lbs for $331.95 including shipping and hazmat if any one is looking for it.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Now I am a little puzzled here that not one person has said that Promo is a pretty dirty powder. That would mean alot more work to clean up a gas auto if that is what you are planning to shoot very much. Work up the numbers in the reloading calculator at the start of trapshooters web page and see how little the cost is per box. Not that much. Not everyone wants to give there gun a good cleaning after every shoot. It is a good powder at the best price, but clay dot is much cleaner if you don't like to spend alot of time cleaning guns and barrels. Just thought you might like to know. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've shot a LOT of Promo loads through my SuperX2 and clean-up has never been an issue. Same as most other powders, takes all of 10 minutes. Let's face it.....we ought to be cleaning our gas-guns after every shoot anyway!

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

again This promo powder must be a regional thing, never have seen it locally! Maybe next order I will try it?

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Promo is a great powder and it's reasonably priced. There is some variation in density from lot to lot, so I buy a few cases at a time, of the same lot number. It isn't much dirtier than any other powder, when you load it to moderate pressure levels. I shoot a gaspipe and have not had any trouble with it getting dirty. There is a fair amount of data out there and it is similar enough to Red Dot that you could use the Red Dot data for reasonable loads.

As for Clay Dot, the lack of loading data is a drawback. It isn't the same as Clays, but very similar. There is a little more data in the new Alliant catalog, but not enough to use it in many loads. I don't like to use Clays data as a substitute, since I've seen some variations. If loaded conservatively, it should be alright, but I'd like to see more data with pressures listed. It's a little more costly than Promo and it does burn a little cleaner, but not enough to make a real big difference for me.

18. oz

oz Active Member

why use claydot? just use clays. oz

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

oz- Because some people would like to use a product that is made by American workers in the USA rather than an imported powder. To some, the USA is important.

Pat Ireland

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

If you have the time to determine which handgun to use call animal control. If not a big bore with lots of rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

promo powder opinions