1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted new loader RCBS Grand or Pon 800?

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

0   0   0

I want to switch to a different loader. I not sure which one to buy a RCBS Grand or a Pon 800 (if Pon which 800?) I want it to be a manual. I have a Mec 9000 and want a better machine. I shoot mainly fun and games and turkey shoots. Please give me your feedback on the two and why?

Thank-you!

Bill

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

PW all the way...get the 800+

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Don't overlook a Hornaday 366!

Built like a brick $hithouse.

SW

5. Bill Roberts

0   0   0

Thanks guys for the feedback! Keep it coming, very interesting so far.

BILL

6. howie

howie Member

0   0   0

Get the RCBS Grand! It is built like a tank, very easy to adjust and maintain. The design is simplicity itself, so you can take it apart and put it back together in an easy and logical fashion. The service is second to none -- believe me I have broken and bent things that in thinking back on it you have to wonder "how did that fool do that?" RCBS has never flinched about or questioned any of my requests for parts and has always offered sage advise when I have had problems. Oh yes, it produces and excellent reload too.

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

0   0   0

I've looked at a couple of sites that sell reloaders, Recob's and Graff. Both did not carry the RCBS. Does anyone know a good dealer? Thanks Bruce

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks!

9. Bill Roberts

0   0   0

10. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

0   0   0

my fastest time changing my powder and shot bushings on the RCBS Grand is still under 45 seconds. the hydro says 660 @ 1 hour manually i can do about 2 flats no problem. had 3 primers go off in it( my fault not the machines) didnt break anything. go for the grand, you might even end up with 2 someday.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Well, I went to the RCBS dealer locater and nosed around to see what all the fuss was about this loader and cannot evne find that they offer the damn thing. Would soeone please put up a link so I can see a picture of the unit?

12. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

0   0   0

MIA
    Go to RCBS.com, hit products, then presses, then Grand and you will get picture and description. Purchased mine in March of 2002 and have been very satisfied. Used a MEC 9000 before that.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

My RCBS internet site does not have "presses". Maybe yours does, but mine does not. How many tiem do I have to go to their site? I wasted 20 minutes earlier at their home site, Cabelas, Graf, etc. the best I could find was a toooh pick holder sized unit.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

0   0   0

The one big advantage of the 800+ is that you can add a case feeder.

You may think you do not need it, but I can tell you it is a great addition. It holds 500 hulls and you can go about an hour before having to fill it back up. It makes a manual unit very fast indeed.

The 800+ also can be equipped with an electric drive unit. I just added one to mine and it is very quite.

I would buy any PW product from Whiz White. He is a good guy to deal with and he can work you through any problems you may encounter.

I am intrigued by the Grand but cannot justify adding it to my line up. I am sure it will be superior to your MEC9000 - but then just about anything would be an improvement. I despised my 9000G and the bitch felt the same way about me. I had a few guys interested in buying it, but they were all friends, so I sold it on E-Bay. Thankfully, I only lost about $75 after some crazy bidding. If your 9000 is also a "bitch", I suggest selling it to someone you do not care for, or putting it on EBay.

Don Verna

15. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

0   0   0

A P-W is apress for the shooter who wants to turn out gobs and gobs of one recipe . Most P-Ws don't lend themselves to changes in recipes that require fine tuning as a change in components might be "interesting" .

A Grand is the most user-friendly press for the shooter who "diddles" about , runs several recipes fromtime to time ; may change components 'cause he ran into a "good buy" etc . BUT , be can also turn out volumes of reloads too . The Grand just isn't as "beefy" as a P-W and the price reflects that .

The "recreational" reloader for bird hunting , some skeet, trap and SCs might be wise to find out what he really wants BEFORE opting for a P-W because if you really don't know how to "run" a P-W , it can drive you up the wall , over the ceiling and - - - - -

BTDT
    Charlie

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'd still be happily loading shells on my RCBS Grand if the AutoMate had not come out. I have arthritis in most of my joints and the rotational movement of an operating handle, even one a smooth and effortless as the Grand's, is painful. I never had any hatred for a MEC loader so I bought a 9000GN and an AutoMate II from Jim Benn and sold the Grand.

The Grand is a great loader backed by even better people and that's important. One good news/bad news feature is that you tailor the wad seating depth by changing the length of the lower shot drop tube instead of adjusting something. It can never come out of adjustment that way but it does take longer to get the perfect length for each recipe dialed in.

Ed

17. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

0   0   0

I've dealt with Whiz White and Jim Cunningham. I have four 900 P-W and an 800+. They are great machines and supported by nice people.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

0   0   0

Charlie

The man said "I shoot mainly fun and games and turkey shoots."

The PW 800+ (at least mine) seems a lot easier to diddle with than the MEC9000 I had. Granted I only use AA and STS hulls; only 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 shot drops; and only AA-Lite, Promo, Clays, Green Dot, or International Clays. Load changes take about 10 minutes but I insist on factory quality crimps. I normally run 500-2000 of a recipe at a time so change over time is acceptable for me.

The one weakness of the 800+ is the Mickey Mouse way they adjust the pre-crimp. I use a "gauge" to get the right height when changing hulls.

Don Verna

19. Bill Roberts

0   0   0

Thanks to all that responded to this thread. After reading all these posts and talking to a few other people I have decided to go with the 800+. I live in Washington State and the P/W location is just 3 hours away which means if I have a problem and if all else fails I can go on a road trip and knock on the door.
    Again thanks to all of you! BILL
    P.S. the name that kept coming up was Whiz White how do I reach him??

20. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

Email at whiz@swsupply.com. He is a sponsor on this site I am sure. While P/W is close to you physically, Whiz is "the man" on P/W presses, and a fine gentleman to do business with. I strongly urge you to contact him and order your press and accessories from him. You won't be sorry, and his service and knowledge on that unit is 2nd to none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.