1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted - Marlin 1895 SBL .45-70

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by DB Bill, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Looking for one of these in excellent condition. If you have one please PM photos and price. Not interested in any other versions of the 1895.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Right now, most Marlins are simply not available in the wholesale pipeline. I don't know what the deal is.

I have heard they are moving the plant. If so, they have a BUNCH of catching up to do.

I want a Model 1895, either XLR or Cowboy, I am not sure. Neither of these models seem to exist at the moment.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

The Freedom Group of Cerberus bought them under the Remington name in 2009...they shut the North Haven Conn. factory down in 2010 putting a load of folks out of work...any Marlin you buy that has a ser.# beginning with 91XXXX is most likely junk..they are coming with mixed and matched parts assembled by morons who know nothing about how a Marlin is supposed to be built...you would do well to wait for a while until the junk has cleared the system...go on Marlinowners.com and read the horror stories with pictures...some guns were built and shipped with barrels drooping down several degrees from being straight inline with the receivers..wood wobbly and fit horribly..scope base holes drilled crooked...If you don't want to wait then you'd be smart to convert a guide gun model with a big loop lever

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

0   0   0

I must be lucky. I have a 45-70 1895CB (cowboy)in the 91xxxxxx range that I purchased at Cabelas last year; good blueing, plain uncheckered wood ('sposed to be - after all it's a cowboy gun, not a trap gun!) that fits the metal well. It will cloverleaf 5 shots at 100 yards and dropped a feral hog at 50 yards like it had been lightning-struck. A 300gr hp bullet at 1850 fps has a lot of punch!

Like Elmer Keith said, " A heavy, slow moving bullet lets a lot of air in and a lot of blood out."

The 1894CB in 45 Colt that I also own is in the 94IVxxxx range, but also looks nice and shoots almost - but not quite - as good as the 45/70. A 250 gr bullet traveling at 1500 fps is not something I'd want to be on the receiving end of!

5. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

That's why I'm looking for a used rather than new one.

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

DB Bill I have a 1895GS I'll let go for 600 plus shipping.

7. CalvinMD

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

glad you lucked into a good one Kiv, no doubt one of the last made in connecticut...I hope they eventually get back to making a good piece of equipment...the ones you really need to look over thoroughly is a # of 91 or lower..a 91 is 2009...a 90 is 2010..best advise is to not buy anygun mailorder or off the web that you cant personally inspect with your own eyes or it may be one you end up packing right up to send back for repair...hate for that to happen to any of my TS.com buddies

8. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Appreciate the offer but I'm looking for a SBL.

9. mtPockets

mtPockets TS Member

0   0   0

DB;I was wondering if you would be interested in a 444 marlin. It will perform just about the same as a 45/70. 300gr.bullet @ over 2000 fps.per IMR loading data. Thanks;Rick Arnett

10. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

My level of interest would depend on (1) the model Marlin your .444 is, (2) the condition it's in, and (3" what you want for it.

If it's got a straight grip I'm not interested -- if it's not in excellent condition and/or has been modified I'm not interested.

Best way to contact me with complete details, including clear and in focus photos, is thru a PM.

But I really do want aa 1895 SBL

11. CalvinMD

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I have a 444 among others,..it shoots awesome..I love those heavy cast bullets in it...It can stop anything short of a locomotive and maybe that too with good shot placement

12. CalvinMD

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

After checking with a friend and former Marlin employee...I was advised nearly all the new big loops are in the serial# range of guns assembled AFTER Remington started infusing their people into the factory ...so even buying a used one isn't going to lessen the odds of you getting a horrific mess of a rifle...hope you don't get stuck with one of their abortions Bill...but definantly please be kind enough to let us know if you do,..whether its new or used

13. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

marlin model 1895 cb wanted

wanted 45-70