1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Info about College trapshooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KingwoodBoys34, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingwoodBoys34

KingwoodBoys34 TS Member

I'm going into my senior year and I've been having trouble finding "good"

information about trapshooting in college. If anyone could steer me in the

right direction that would be great.

Mike Clarke

Email- Way2tall34@yahoo.com

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What college in which state are you attending?

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Mike,

Click on the link above, select "Trap" in the "Discipline" drop-down list box, and then "Submit Query." You should get a fairly comprehensive listing including contact info and e-mail links.

enjoy

4. Greenhead Fever

Greenhead Fever TS Member

Mike, I sent you an email regarding information about a college shooting team. My email is XXXnr_04@hotmail.comXXX Drop the X's. Please feel free to contact me.

Nate

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The ATA will provide you with a list of schools that have Trap teams.

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

The list above is gleaned from information in Trap and Field, the NRA website and the ACUI competitions.

College shotgun sports shooting exists on many levels. Some schools are club level, some are at the recreation supported level and some are funded sports. At the top end are schools like Lindenwood with scholarships etc. At the other end are student run clubs for various shotgun disciplines.

Another consideration is where you are going to keep your shotgun(s) while in school. Assuming you are going to be staying in university housing (dorms) you will need to find out how the school handles the situation. The best are some schools in the west which have regular lockers for students where they can keep their shotguns under lock and key. The worst are schools where "NO GUNS ON CAMPUS" is the rule.. no exceptions. You need to see how much of a hassle it will be to have a shotgun on campus.

My totally biased opinion would put Lindenwood at the top of my list if you want to do serious competition while in college, Kansas State has an excellent program with a lot of participation/fun. Wyoming and Montana have good programs with shotgun friendly campuses. I have been told that Missouri (Columbia), Texas A&M and Colorado State also have great programs. Since I am located in Nebraska, most of my information is from the surrounding area. YMMV.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Check out George Mason in VA. Jeff

8. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i believe Iowa State has a club level team and have some excellent engineering and computer science courses as well as vet med

9. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

I would never recommend a college or university for consideration to anyone based on their shooting program. Putting everything into perspective.........Spending $80k-$100k for an education which is why the institutions are in existence in the first place and then determining this or that school has a better shotgun team is misguided. If shooting is important to you then find out ALL the schools that have programs. Research from those schools the ones with the best academic offerings for the educational interests you have. Select your school based upon what you are going to gain AFTER graduation and NOT whether the team is competitive or has their own range. The only exception would be if the student could garner a scholarship assuming available monies and loans were not otherwise available. My personal choice would be a larger university which has vast academic choices. Nothing against the smaller colleges except that most college freshmen really don't know what they want to major in and the lack of options at smaller schools often leads to student dropping out. Just my $.02

Eric Schmidt
    Purdue 1979
    Co-Founder Purdue Trap & Skeet

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Come on, Jackmitch..........Who in their right mind would ever want to attend Iowa State????

Maybe under court order or something along those lines, but not voluntarily........lol lol

[​IMG]

Go Hawks!

Hauxfan!

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eric Schmidt made a very informative post on this subject. Selection of a college should be made with consideration of many factors. Trapshooting could be one of these factors but it should be a very minor one. The reputation of the Chemistry Department is much more important than the reputation of the trapshooting team.

Pat Ireland

12. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

where does the hawkeye trap team practice haux. oops no guns probably allowed at good old u of i. the ferries wouldn't want armed students running around they might get thinned out.ha ha. hey why don't you come south this weekend and shoot at the ottumwa ikes shell shoot.we'd love to have you. bring that new iron and take home some shells.biged and trey probably won't be there so there is hope for us regular shooters. jackmitch

13. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I believe there were 35 teams at the National College Trap competition in San Antonio this year.

14. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Been away for a while, good timing.

I shoot for Iowa State University. My SCTP coach reccomended Lindenwood b/c I was interested in pursuing shooting.

Make no mistake, their team is good, but not to offend anyone, the school itself is sub-par. I looked, but make your own decision.

You will find yourself (at least I do) SO busy with activities it's hard to concentrate on shooting. But, I can do it for the rest of my life. ISU has given me the top program in Ag business (eat it, Big Red) and a great time. We still practice regularly and travel to pretty much any competition the club feels like attending.

It's all up to you, but don't bite hook line and sinker for any one school, ISU included. Just don't go to Wyoming, those guys are insane.

15. richrob

richrob TS Member

Trapshooting is a hobby for most, not a career, college prepares your for a career, which in turn pays for your hobbies.

I attend a top tier school and was actually introduced to trapshooting there, we have a club and its fun to shoot, but thats not why I pay tuition.

I would leave shooting out when deciding on a school, then when you choose and find out that there is a club or range close by it will just be a bonus. -Rich

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jackmitch, Would love to come down, but there is also a heck of a shoot at Stockdale's in Ackley, and it's only 35 miles or so from me.

I will say I'm a little surprised that they have a trap club at Psyclone University. lol lol

Hauxfan!

17. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

Rich- You put in to words the same thing as I was attempting only much better than I did. Well said!
    Eric Schmidt

18. jlb

jlb Member

I read with some interest the banter between the Iowa (Hauxfan) and Iowa State (Jackmitch) contingent concerning College Trap Shooting. I am sure that it will be of exceptionally limited interest for folks to know that in 1969 Winchester sponsored the first ACU Trap and Skeet Championship at Tiffin Iowa and that The University of Iowa was the host team. I assume that this event was a precursor to the ACUI competition. And yes the University of Iowa team won the Trap and Skeet Championship.

19. richrob

richrob TS Member

Eric- You seem like a bright guy, how come you went to Purdue rather than the wonderful University of Illinois? Oh well, at least its not Iowa, haha. -Rich

20. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

way to go sam get a great education and have some fun while doing it at the best college in the country.(not sports wise right now but give them time) oh no i'm starting to sound like a cubs fan now!! go cards!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1979 university of iowa collegiate trap & skeet team