1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted:gunsmith advise New Browning XT lubrication

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I recently purchased a new Browning Citori XT,had Rod's install an adjustable comb and an adjustable Gracoil to it and had the trigger tuned by Phil Crenwelge and I would like advise on how to best lubricate it.It is so tight when I open it I do not want to have anything get galled.The Browning manual just says to put grease on the hinge pin and lightly oil the surfaces inside the action;is there a "best" grease or oil to ensure my new investment lasts without problems.My 20 year old Citori I am retiring was tuned by a local fellow trapshooter and when he did the trigger for me he also loosened the action so it would open easier,he liked gun grease on the hinge pin and Slick 50 for the action but has since passed away.I have be told to just let the gun break-in and not fiddle with the tightness so all I can do is use the best lubes.Thank you for any advise.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Buy CMD lube from me. This will greatly extend the life of your firearm.

Lube hinge pin, receiver knuckle, and forend iron where it abuts the receiver.

Lube the forend lug where the forend snaps on the barrel. When this wears, the barrel and forend get loose.

I also lube the ejector sears that hold the ejector hammers, and hammer sears with a very small dab of Gun Lube.

When you assemble the gun, open and close it a few times. Then wipe off excess from around lubed areas.

A little lube on the choke tube threads will keep them tight, and keep them from seizing if you neglect them. They are in a hostile environment.

Enjoy your new Browning.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

CDM lube from "coach" is good. Gator Tears from Jerry is good. Just about any lube on the shelf of an auto parts store is good. If I were to buy lube, I would get it from one of my friends on this site. The real key is not what lube you use, but how clean you keep the lube.

Lubrication reduces friction when two metal parts move across each other but lubricants will also hold dirt and form a grinding compound over time. No lubricant on gun parts might actually be better than a very dirty lubricant.

Pat Ireland

4. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

The Browning smith at the grand told me to use white grease, a can will last you a lifetime. jack melitsky

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Pat is right.

After every use, I wipe off and reaply Lube. A heavier lube will not run in hot weather. Gun Lube, when applied indoors, works very well in cold weather.

Anti seize is terible for guns, unless you want everything you wear or touch to be a hard to remove silver color!

Except for the Mec collets, I cannot use this stuff. It insists on crawling out of the can and gets everything silver. LOL

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mobile 1 or STP

Try it- it will drop open

Gene

7. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,Thank you for all the replies and advise.Now I just need a little bit warmer weather here in PA.Regards,Bill.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Pro-Shot makes a product called Pro-Gold. It is a high quality grease that is available in a syringe or a jar. I have used is on all of my O/U shotguns. It does not run away in high temps.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning citori sear lubrication

browning ultra xt manual