1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted Good Pheasant Recipe

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

0   0   0

Looking for a good recipe for pheasant, will say Thanks Now, to all that post. S.L.I.D.

2. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Take one Liberal Democrat.

Airlift him or her to Afganistan.

Put a copy of the Miranda warnings in their pocket so anything they say or do will not be held against them.

Insert into region controlled by the people with whom we are supposed to be having a dialog.

Throw in one good measure of Al Queda.

Scrape up residue after the Taliban are done with them, place in envelope and mail back to constituents.

Not the recipe you were looking for? I thought you wanted to know what to do with the peasants in D.C.

Lou

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Pheasant tends to be dry, but pan fried, like chicken is OK. Barb's best recipe, though, uses her chicken croquettes recipe that came with the deep fryer. To me, it's the best we've ever served. You might want to look into some of the crockpot offerings, that use Lipton's packets of onion soup or Cream of Mushroom soup. In both crockpot instances, the bird is juicy and tender and the gravy is wonderful. She just added== cook a couple of 'em off in a stew pot, pick the bones, then make slippery pot pie.

enjoy your dinner (yum)

4. high 2

high 2 Member

0   0   0

We like to filet the breast from the bone and soak at least overnight in butter milk. Then take cracker crumbs and a little flour and roll the breast in this still wet with butter milk. Salt and pepper to taste along with season salt and fry it up. As ststed earlier, they tend to be dry, so DON`T over cook. Keeps them moist and makes the best gravy going. I`m in NW Oklahoma and get to hunt 3-4 times a week. We kill a bunch of them and this is my favorite way to fix them.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

0   0   0

Both of the above recipes are similar to how I have had it cooked. Breast only. Pheasant can be dry so do NOT Barbeque. Pan fried/sauted and then cooked in some type of sauce like Mike's and you will get a YUM! A wine sauce or the Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup -- and do not over cook. Fred

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

0   0   0

Is there a particular way that your desiring (ie fast and easy, troublesome and exotic, plain and simple)?

7. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

0   0   0

I got this tip from a ND farmer and it's awesome.
    Use breast filets, soak in brine (water with a ton of salt) overnight. Take a couple handfuls of barbecue chips and grind in the food processor. Bread pheasant meat with that. Fry in bacon grease until nice and golden brown.

8. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

0   0   0

This is our favorite. I give it to all of the clients we guide for
    Game Bird Stuffing

4 slices bacon finely diced
    ½ cup finely diced onion
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 cup heavy cream
    ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
    ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
    ¼ teaspoon celery seed
    1 dash ground nutmeg
    ¾ teaspoon salt divided
    4 cups small fresh bread cubes
    1 egg yolk lightly beaten
    2 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper

Cook diced bacon over low heat until lightly browned, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add onions and garlic; sauté over moderate heat about 5 minutes. Add cream, thyme, cardamom, celery seed and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, stir in ½ teaspoon salt.

Pour hot cream mixture over bread cubes. Fold in remaining salt, egg yolk, parsley and pepper. Chill completely.

Bone the breast or quail, chukkas or pheasants. Slightly pound each halve between sheets of waxed paper until they are of even thickness 1/2 to ¾ of an inch thick. Make a “sandwich” of the two breast halves, with a layer of the stuffing in the middle. Wrap the ‘sandwich” with bacon, secure with toothpicks. Grill until the bacon is done.

Unused stuffing can be frozen.

Make a broth of the remaining bird bones and carcass’s by covering them with water. Add Monosodium glutamate, salt and scallions or onions to taste. You will be amazed at the flavor!

Simmer for an hour or more.

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

0   0   0

Set breasts in bottom of pot, pour fruit cocktail (heavy syrup) in the bottom and over breasts and cook in oven covered.

10. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

0   0   0

Pheasant Master it doesn't have to be easy or exotic it's what every one has finally settle on, after trial & error. that way i'm already dealing with the people best! I'll be copying all, now i need to go shoot some more birds. thanks again to all that replied. slid.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I grew up on game, and have modified Nana's recipes to make use of the new methods of today (like using microwaves, ovenbags, splenda, etc) when possible. I LOVE the plain taste of pheasant, and prefer not to have breading and spices on it. I've had lots of compliments on the way my family cooks it, so here it is, simple:

Soak a whole pheasant in salt water over night and rinse it until there is absolutely no pink in the rinse water.

Cut an onion or two (or an apple, or a mix of onions and apple...I prefer just onions) into eights and stuff the hell out of the bird. Squeeze it in there. LOL!!!

Lay the bird on it's back. Fold the wings back and under the bird, and cross the legs over the stuffed cavity. Tie the legs with string so that they stay together.

Place the bird in an oven bag, then into a baking pan. Bake at 350 for an hour. (check that it's done when it comes out of the oven, since sizes vary and you might have to cook a bit longer).

Remove from oven to the top of your stove, slit bag open and let all the juice run out into the baking pan. Remove bird to plate for serving.

This is where my Alabama upbringing shows: Take a cup of milk (best to use full-fat milk, because it is less watery), 2 tablespoons of flour (I use whole wheat flour, but you can use what you want), a splash of this morning's coffee (or a tiny bit of instant granules), salt and pepper to taste, and whisk like a madman (or madwomen). Add this mixture SLOWLY to the pan of fat while whisking (still like a madman). No lumps...amazing isn't it? LOL!!!

Heat that mixture over a medium flame, whisking all the while (less rpms now...like a slow record), until the mixture starts to thicken (when you have to go back to the madman thing).

Remove from heat and serve with the pheasant.

If you do it right, you will have a nice, moist, flavorful baked pheasant (don't eat the onions), and you will have a a very good gravy to go with it.

Being southern, I think that the gravy makes the meal. It's heavenly with the gravy.

Coffee???!!! Yes, it's an old southern trick to add a little color to the gravy, and a slight improvement to the flavor.

12. powderburn

powderburn Member

0   0   0

slipping into darkness......
    Hmmmmmmmm. How did you pick that for a "handle" on trapshooters dot com? It sounds like there is a story behind it. Just curious.
    -powderburn

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Dicksie, dear. I'll bring that 'lectric drive out, personally, if I can get my name in the pot and sit at your table. ....mike

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Fezuntreapers Fazio Fezunt!

4 fezunt breasts filleted out. Butterfly and pound out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into bite size pieces.

Soak breasts overnight in salt water and rinse throughly. Beat two eggs and soak fezunt pieces 3-8 hours.

Remove and bread with crushed Italian bread crumbs and lightly brown in margarine.

Place in a 9x13 pan. Add 2 cups of mushrooms, you can also add 2 onions and 2 stalks of celery chopped if wanted.

Add 12 ounces of grated Pepper Jack cheese and 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese.

Add 16 ounces of chicken broth, cover and bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes.

This will be some of the tastiest fezunt ever.YUM!!

Hap,da Fezuntreaper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.