1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wanted falling block type rifle in 45/70

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zap, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zap

zap TS Member

I am interested in a falling block riflr in 45/70 caliber similar to a reproduction browning high wall or whatever please e mail me with what you might have thanks Dennis

2. zap

zap TS Member

3. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Dennis, I'm not selling mine, but Ballard Rifles makes a beautiful copy - and they say that all of the parts will interchange with original High Walls.

You might also take a look at Steve Meacham's rifles - http://www.meachamrifles.com/. I've not seen one in the metal, but he seems to ahve a very good reputation.

C. Sharps (http://www.csharpsarms.com/) also makes them, for significantly less money. No opinion about those, either.

Tony

4. zap

zap TS Member

Tony, thank you for all your help however being retired i cant afford any of the ones you pointed out sadly!!.. Thought i har a browning highwall rounded up at a fair price however it appears to be a short barreled carbine rather than a full lenght rifle. I thinking that someone must have an old browning highwall in 45/70 stuck in the closet i can buy. I can only hope it shows up but thanks Dennis

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have several Browning 1885 High Walls, as well as several original Winchester 1885 High and Low Walls.<br>
    <br>
    If you are intending on installing a tang sight, *most* Browning 1885's are a poor choice, because they lack an upper tang (actually they lack both upper and lower tang, the stock being held on in a similar fashion to a Rem 870). This means a tang sight must be screwed into the wood stock. Browning did make some long range target models with a tang so a tang sight can be installed on metal. However, these versions are quite expensive.<br>
    <br>
    Original Winchester 1885 rifles ain't cheap anymore, and the actions alone are quite expensive. I bought mine around the time they started to take off. I was fortunate to get complete rifles for the same price that some were asking for bare actions. It would be less expensive in the long run to get one of the clones.<br>
    <br>
    The Ruger #1 is made in 45-70, though the barrels can be considered to be carbine length.<br>
    <br>
    There are Italian made 1874 Sharps clones. These are not 1000 yard competition rifles by any stretch of the imagination. But, for hunting at reasonable hunting distance, they work quite well.<br>
    <br>

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Brian,

"There are Italian made 1874 Sharps clones. ....."

Are you referring to the Pedroseli?

John C. Saubak

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pedersoli is one, but there are others. Or at least have BEEN others. Haven't kept up with it for the last half decade.

8. Gadjet Man

Gadjet Man TS Member

Nitro, I bought a 45/70 in a Uberti high wall for around 750.00 it shoots well with factory ammo as i have not gotten a chance to reload yet. I wanted a sharps but could not see spending the money.

9. zap

zap TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.