1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Colt Commander .45 Lightweight or similar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Soon to be in the market for LWT Colt Commander or similar size from other manufacturers. Springfield, Wesson, etc. Anyone have something stashed in the safe that is collecting dust? PM me with description and price. Photo not necessary unless I get serious about what you have to sell. Thanks to all.

2. new loader

new loader Member

What do you think of this deal? Have offer of used Kimber Pro CDP for about the same price as Colt. Which is best buy? Condition about equal.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Assuming they are both in stock condition you will never get hurt buying a Colt over a Kimber. I own both and the Colt is the higher quality arm and will certainly hold it's value.

Newer Kimbers have had problems according to the 1911 forums that I read.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

If you want an 'out of the box' pistol you can't go wrong with a Kimber - dollar for dollar they are the best deal going (reports of 'problems' not withstanding).

If you want near total perfection 'out of the box' look at the SIG (yes, SIG makes a 1911).

If you want to build your own you can't go wrong with a Colt frame and then build up from there - look at Evolution Gun Works, Jim Garthwaite, or Carter Custom. These guns can break $3K in no time at all.

If you want Hi Cap look at the STI or the Para Ordnance (Carter Custom specializes in Para's)

Again, the question is do you want the gun as an 'out of the box' pistol or do you want to build your own?? This will tell you which way to go.
    I think the two become mutually exclusive - e.g., if you buy the SIG why would you change anything on it?? - It is near perfection (to the minds of some).
    For the Kimber, it's nice, but as the base for a built up gun you can do better by putting together parts to match your own design.

If this is a first gun in this line I would suggest the Kimber, if you know the 1911 and want something unique - bite the bullet and build your own.

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

If you need the definitive answer on anything 1911 ask Ross Carter who is a member of this forum. He goes under the handle of "ccw1911." Send him a P.M. or maybe he'll see this post.

If you don't want to worry and you like to punch paper buy a Colt Gold Cup. Accurate and reliable out of the box. Great resale value as well.

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

new loader- I have a 1991 a1 Colt Commander that I got off my friend's widow. Not sure how much Bob shot it but from the looks of the gun, very little. I have put maybe 50 rounds through it. I don't/haven't been able to control the short barrel very well in the little I've shot it. Am looking for a similar gun in longer version. Got anything to trade? I can send you pics if you would like to see it up close and personal.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

XXXjbnsuz@charter.netXXX (drop ther XXX's), or PM me.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I probably had 25,000 rounds thru a Wilson 38 Super LE Comp on a Series 70 Colt with zero malfunctions. My carry gun is a Pre-series 70 Commercial model 45 with extensive modifications. It too is flawless. Reselling a Kimber is a lot harder than a Colt in my experience.

8. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

I have one that I bought in 1979, so it must be at lease a 1970 model, I have to look up the serial numbers on it. What are looking to do a trade or purchase? Its a wonderful gun to carry.

Let me know.

Gary

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a Commander size Charles Daly in 45acp mounted on a lightweight frame. you could also buy it with the officers frame which will make it like the Colt COO. You also have the option to buy the 22lr conversion unit for inexpensive practice shooting. email me if you are interested. drop xx. jm

10. new loader

new loader Member

Private messages sent to Jerry, Bomber, jm1079.

11. new loader

new loader Member

Still looking.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

The Kimbers have an on-going quality problem and very litle factory support. About all they will tell you is "just shoot it some more". IMO it will be hard to beat the Colt or Springfield. The Springer comes with a LIFETIME warranty and is my personal choice for a carry gun. Mine has functioned flawlesslysince day one.

13. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

have a Colt Commander with a steel frame or an alunimun frame. pm me if interested. comes with a 22 long rifle conversion unit. jm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

colt commander and similar

colt commander lightweight serial numbers