1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Browning Double Auto barrel

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by kgb, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgb

kgb Member

0   0   0

I recently picked up a Twentyweight Browning DA carrying a Modified choke in the barrel, about .015" with a long parallel after the constriction. I'm going to pattern it to see how it looks with a few different shells but I'd like to get a second barrel with a more open choke. I've shot this one at Skeet and it give Mod-looking results on the clays with Remington Gun Club shells and various reloads. I'm hoping it holds relatively tight patterns with hard shot and ideally an IC, Cyl or Skeet second barrel would give all I'd need for versatility. Alternatively I can make up some spread-r rounds if I don't find a load that will give IC or more open.

I've got an IC barrel for a Super-X M1 to trade if interested.

Kirk

2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

0   0   0

Kirk, open choked DA bbls are hard to find. It may be the case that your new barrel will need to be fitted to your gun. I have some barrels that will interchange on my DA's and others that won't. Check out www.gunbroker.com as they have bbls from time to time. I have found that with the bbls bringing around $200, I can often find an entire DA for $350-$400 in average used condition with the bbl I am looking for. There is a steel DA on gunbroker that has an IC choked bbl. The bid on it starts at $500 and it has been through an entire auction cycle with no action.
    Doug Allison

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

I might still have a DA barrel with a Cutts or Polychoke on it.. would that be of any interest??

4. kgb

kgb Member

0   0   0

PBB, thanks but I'd like to find a standard style of barrel first. I'm hoping to try out a variable barrel on another gun later this month to see how it looks over the receiver.

DA, sorry to hear that news. I've searched over on the shotgunworld browning forum and hadn't run into people having fitment problems, maybe I wasn't reading closely enough. I was also waiting for someone to give a guess as to year of manufacture, would you know the year for a Twentyweight's S/N of A37370? It's got a light "FN" stamped just before the "A".

I saw a couple of DA barrels recently on GA, one sold for $100 and the other at $200 might be there a little longer. I've seen a Twelvette with a spare barrel, it's got a channeled solid rib plus a matted plain barrel and I've thought of getting it for the solid rib barrel. If it doesn't fit my gun, there's not much sense in buying it. Any guidelines as to what fits on what, or has it been a crapshoot?

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The barrel on my DA is so thin I don't believe it could be choked. It is a skeet barrel. I had wondered if the barrels were all so thin? Love shooting it though. Jackie B.

6. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

0   0   0

kgb, my Grandfather's DA is serial number A18???. It was shipped 12-20-60. Somewhere in the mid 60's Browning started putting the number before the "A" it tell year of manufacture. I have 5A????? on one DA. This puts yours between 1961 and 1965 for sure.
    These guns were handfitted and the tolerances are tight. I would call Art at Art Gunshop for an professional opinion. www.artsgunshop.com He is a former factory Browning guy and really knows his stuff. I have seen DA barrels that have had choke tubes installed. The barrels of the Twentyweight should be factionally smaller in OD than the Twelvette or Standard bbl.

7. kgb

kgb Member

0   0   0

DA, have you noticed the barrels to be slightly underbored? I zeroed my gauge and it shows .724" for the basic bore. The choke also has 1.5" of parallel after the constriction; patterning will show what the thing does with the loads I intend to use through it.

I'm not a big fan of choke tubes, will just have Mike Orlen open it up if needed. I'll be happy if I can get it to act like a basic IC with shell variety opening or tightening from there, and if it takes spred-R inserts to open up, so be it.

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have a Twentyweight DA that I bought that a previous owner had put Briley Thin-wall choke tubes in the original modified barrel. Its not something I would do but the price and condition of the gun was too good to pass up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

b rowning double auto barrels for sale

barrel browning double automatic standard

browning double auto barrel

browning double auto barrels

browning twentyweight barrel