1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: 22-250 Rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob31, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob31

bob31 TS Member

I'm looking for a 22-250 anyone want to sell?

2. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Let me know exactly what you are looking for. I have several in the safe and a couple haven't been shot in several years. Mostly heavy barreled varmint rigs on custom actions. Pat

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm down with Tron on this one....

Not that the rifle you buy WON'T shoot...I like to think most folks are honest. But you could easily end up with a lemon.

I wouldn't buy a rifle - .22-250 or otherwise - that wasn't NIB or that I couldn't shoot first.

jeff

4. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Please don't be afraid of buying a used rifle. Most used rifles will shoot extremely well, especially if you understand what makes a rifle shoot small groups. Most of the time, if the rifle won't shoot, it isn't the barrel being bad, it is one of a hundered other things such as bad bedding, improper tightening of the action screws, the barrel riding somewhere in the fore end channel, scope mount screws loose, barrel not having been cleaned properly, etc. With modern barrel steel, it is very hard to burn the throat out of todays guns unless the caliber is way over bore like my 22-243.

5. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

LOL

Like NIB guarantees a shooter?

Typically its someone not taking the time to find what load works best in their particular gun and blaming the gun for it.

I've got two .22-250s, a Howa 1500 and a CZ 550 American, both bought used on the web and both cloverleaf at 100 yards. Very accurate and fun guns to shoot.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have had a few high power rifles and all shot well. I don't know why they wouldn't shoot well either.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the kid. Last year, my son and daughter bought me a new rifle from a special run commissioned by a Canadian distributor, a Remington M700 in stainless steel with a brown laminated thumbhole stock in 300 Rem Ultra Mag. I found Federal Premium VitalShok ammo for it on sale at Midway for $26.00 a box loaded with 165-grain Noslers in nickled cases. I bought 100 rounds of the stuff figuring if it didn't shoot well, I could pull the bullets and have a nice supply of primed brass for the rifle.

After mounting a 4.5x-14x Leupold VX-III AO on it, the best my son or I could do with it was four and five-inch five-shot 100-yard groups. I free-floated the barrel by removing the pressure point in the stock's forend and the same loads now routinely print 1.5-inch groups. For a high-intensity cartridge like that (those loads average 3,514 FPS over my chronograph from the gun's 26-inch barrel!), I'll gladly take that kind of accuracy from factory loads.

And for what it's worth, I have a M700 Varmint Special in 22-250 that was made in the mid-70s through which I've fired many hundred handloads. That rifle will still print 3/8-inch five-shot 100-yard groups.

Ed

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

I have a Kimber Longmaster Varmint 22-250, and would be wiling to sell for $785 delivered to your FFL. I might also have some ammo that I would let go at a fair price. If you have any interest, let me know, I will send some pix and a fuller description. I am currently trying to sell an Anschutz 1502 in 17 mach2 on Trapshooters, but have only had slight interest.

bustclays
    ps you have mail

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

C'mon S Shooter...read what I wrote:

I wouldn't buy a rifle that wasn't NIB or that I couldn't shoot first.

If it's NIB...it might NOT shoot, but at least I'm not getting jacked up by a guy who's trying to pawn off a bad rifle. If I get to shoot it, then I know it's a shooter. Either way, I'm not mad at the guy that sold it to me.

I once had to trade off a model 70 .300 win mag...it flat wouldn't shoot. I tried EVERYTHING to make it go. Different bullets, weights, powders. Floated the barrel. Bedded the action. It just wouldn't shoot a lick - and all my other rifles do. Other guys shot it - it wouldn't work for them. It wasn't that it was a .300 - I'll happily shoot you a mickey mouse head outline with me .375 HH anytime you want. I finally traded it to the local gunshop for model 700 .300 win mag. Funny thing was, I took that Remington and started with the last load that WOULDN'T shoot in the Winchester. Shoots like a dream.

Oh, and the model 70? I TOLD the shop it wasn't a shooter. I'm good friends with the owner. His response? Your average moose hunter will shoot it once a year, and he won't know or care about the difference.....

FWIW...

jeff

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Just a thought. If you don't reload you may want a 223 as the cost of ammo is much less. I shoot a 22-250 model 700 Rem. The two calibers are argubly close in performance.

Post-2

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The bigger one will heat up a lot faster. For PD's the 223 is the hot setup. Use 40 grain bullets and you can get real close to 204 performance.

HM

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Clay Spencer can deliver. There are very few rifle smith's in the same category as Clay. Good choice.

13. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Fair enought Jeff, fair enough.

I actually prefer used with most of my guns. This way, if I do get jacked, I didn't pay full price to do it. LOL

Nice suggestion on the Savage too. Very accurate out of the box guns.

Also, when comparing the .22-250 to the .223, unless you're really reaching out there (300 yds +), the .223 will do just as good a job and your barrel will probably last longer. The .22-250 is a hard puncher though and will typically anchor whatever you're shooting at.

If you want more flexibility, look at the .243. You can shoot 50gr all the way up to 100gr bullets with one and with the lower velocities, can expect longer barrel life.

14. kgp

kgp TS Member

Ran across this at Gunbroker.com. I own two Coopers, one in 220 and the new mod 52 in 270 Win. Can't beat them for accuracy.

I have nothing to do with this gun nor do I know anything about it. From what I've seen, $1,000 is a fair price for a used Cooper in good condition.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.