1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: 1 oz and 11/8 oz Powder Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Steps to simplify my reloading.

Step one: Choose a powder that I can use for 1 oz. practice AND the 1 1/8 I shoot registered, both at @ 1200fps.

Looked at the data and several powders fit the bill…… but…… what has worked and loaded the best for you? Thanks trapshooters.

Mark

2. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Well if you are sure that you never want to go faster than 1200 with the 1 1/8 ounce load than I think it is very hard to find one better than Hodgdon Clays powder. It is as clean burning as any that I have tried in the 1200 feet per second range with 1 1/8 payload but just remember that when your handicap needs go to where you want a little more velocity it will not get you there.

it still gets my vote for a great powder for a lot of different shooting games. And I guess I am just fond of the fact that it leaves your barrel so clean as a side benefit.

3. oz

oz Active Member

I second clays. if you cannot find it try titewad. I did so and it is fine. oz

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you are shooting a break-open gun (or gun cleaning is a fetish), your task is easier.

As you have found, there is data for both loads with 12 or 13 powders, but the VERY best, no-compromise powder is PB, if only because it does not get pressury and works well with any hull; any wad; any primer, in any temperature.

It meters like water, is available everywhere and works with any loader.

That said, it is more expensive than cocaine and it takes a snuff-can full to make a load.

You'll get lots of alternate opinions on powders.

Bob

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon Titegroup will also do this for you.

I use Titegroup for my 1-1/8 ounce handicap loads, but it works for 1 ounce loads too.

Great stuff.

You might even be able to do this with Titegroup using the same wads (Remington TGT-12s or Downrange DRRT-12) and primers.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Red Dot, 17.8 grains, 1 oz. of 8's for short yardage in AA or Remington hulls, Spolar wad. Primer either Winchester or Chedite. Clays will give you the same performance.

Green Dot, 20.0 grains, 1 1/8 oz of 7.5's from the 21 yard line on back in AA or Remington hulls, Spolar 1 1/8 wad, primer same as above. International will give you the same performance.

Fred

7. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I know you asked for one powder but for economy and performance its hard to beat 17.5 Promo for your practice loads and 20.0 Green Dot for your competition loads. The Promo can be backed down to 17.0 for even more savings.

I find this combination works well with both Rem amd Winchester hulls, Green Duster or Blue Duster wads. The Green Dot loads feel soft shooting to me for
    1 1/8 loads. Both loads are right around 1200 fps and I have no problem switching from one to the other.

John

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would caution against using Clays for 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps loads, unless you use the right combination of components to keep the pressures reasonable (under 10,000 "PSI" NOT "LUPs") Promo or Red Dot would fill the bill as would American Select or even Green Dot. Clays might do fine in a straight tube hull, but I do NOT use Clays for 1 1/8oz loads unless they are on the light side, especially in a tapered hull. Clays simply hits the wall, pressure wise, way too quickly. I have used Promo for a number of years with great results. I do NOT use Fiocchi 616 or off brand primers, so cold weather ignition with many powders is not an issue for me. I can also use published data to ensure that I am loading a "tested" combination, pressure wise. Titewad and Titegroup are also powders that you need to watch for pressures with the 1 1/8 oz loads. Cost wise, Promo has the edge. Red Dot, American Select, or Green Dot will do fine. On the more costly side, 700-X is hard to beat as is PB, but PB is a little slow for 1200 fps 1oz loads. International Clays would also work as would some of the Winchester powders.

A lot would depend on the hull and other components you intend to use, and how cold or hot the temperatures would be when you intend to use the shells. Some careful testing might be in order, BEFORE buying a ton of components and loading up numerous flats of shells.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a shooting friend that has a ton of money, but is so cheap he squeaks. Presently he shoots 1 oz. with Promo, reclaimed shot, Fio primers, and Claybusters A real cheap load, and wonders why he sometimes misses 3 or 4 in a row. What was that old saying "garbage in, garbage out?"

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

To save money recycle your primers. Fred

11. lostandout

lostandout Member

12. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

Green Dot 20 gr=1200 fps with 1.1/8oz
    Green Dot 19.5 =1200 fps with 1.0 oz
    both have low pressure,

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION FOR RELOADING, IT WILL DIFFER DEPENDING ON
    WADS AND PRIMER

ALWAYS CONSULT THE POWDER MANUFACTOR FOR ACCURATE DATA.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mark, what you want is to have your cake and eat it too. Life just does not alway work that way. You will have to shoot fast one oz. loads or use just the exact type of components to get your 1200 fps l l/8 oz loads to work at that speed. Clays,Claydot,700X,Red Dot,Promo are all fast burning 12 ga. powder and will work great for all one oz. loads and ll50 fps l l/8 oz. If you go to a slower burning powder to get your l200 fps l l/8 oz. loads good you'll have to speed up your one oz. loads. To get get both of these things you just need to go to two different types of powder. Kind of like having a old pick-up for work and wanting to take a family of 5 out to fine nice dinner in it. You just need two different powders and cars/trucks. Break-em all. Jeff

14. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

If you are using AA hulls, I'd say Green Dot would work just fine. The Alliant site shows recipes that fit your description nicely.

For a Rem hull, Clays will work but for the 1 1/8 stuff, it is on the higher end of things.

Unless there is another reason beside simplicity, I'd use different powders for the 1 oz & 1 1/8 oz loads. I don't like to compromise unless I have to and in this case, I can't see why you would have to.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

shot410ga

It ain't the shells making him miss.

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X

Curt

17. tj303

tj303 Member

Clays

18. ABH

ABH Member

For 1oz loads, Red Dot or Clays are hard to beat.

For 1 1/8oz, Green Dot and International Clays are hard to beat.

Load to 9500-10000 PSI and your good to go summer and winter.

ART H.

19. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Mark,

As many have already said, you can obtain better results with different powders optimized for the two applications, but if I had to pick one powder which would provide the best performance in the two loads you mention, I would choose American Select.

Good luck and shoot well.

Paul

20. oz

oz Active Member

check out hodgdons.com for data

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.