1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to trade for 11-87 trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a Remington 870TC bought new in 1996 has about 200 rounds thru it, 30" step rib barrel with rem choke. beautiful wood All Lettering has been gold inlayed. Shoots good but Kicks alittle hard for my taste so I use an auto. Would Like to find an 11-87 trap in good cond. I use an 11-87 field to hunt with and Like it. I can e-mail photos if anyone is interested. Thanks

2. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

3. primer

primer TS Member

I do not know much about 1187. I just bought a 1100 classic for trap and was going to buy a 26 or 28 in barrel to hunt doves with. Is there a problem using the 1100. Would it be best to buy a 1187 to hunt with. Thanks

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bullfrog, the only practical difference between the 1100 and 1187 is that you have to use two barrels, a 2-3/4" and a 3" magnum, while the 1187 can shoot both of those loads in the same barrel. Unless you need 3" magnums for doves, a 2-3/4" 1100 barrel will work.

If you try to use a trap barrel for hunting, three caveats - some trap barrels are factory backbored, and use special trap chokes - these barrels will NEVER pattern wider than modified because of the internal constriction just before the choke tubes. Trap chokes are lead only, so no steel. And trap barrel should not use sheels with more than 1-1/4 oz 3 dram loads, or the bolt velocity will be too great and damage can happen (perhaps not right away, but cummulative).

The best solution for just buying a barrel is a field barrel. The trap gun has a standard action sleeve, so you're restricted to a 2-3/4" chambered barrel. However, you can use the so-called "baby magnums" in it. 3" magnum barrels aren't available new anyway. One exception is the 3" steel shot barrel. This barrel is designed to shoot 3" steel shot loads on a 2-3/4" gun. But it CANNOT be used with 3" lead, or the bolt velocity is too high. This barrel was discontinued in the last couple of years, but some distributors still have them.

As for using a trap buttstock for hunting, I found I liked the POI on my trap gun, and I also found it difficult to switch between guns with different POI's. So I put monte carlo stocks on ALL my 1187's, including the field guns.

Myself, I'd rather use an 1187 in the field, and put the 1100 barrel money towards it. But that's a lot more money overall.

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.