1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to start making shot..

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rifle guy, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Ok here it goes..I just emptied my last bag of $32 shot and do not want to pay $50+ per bag to continue shooting this summer. I love to reload but don't love being broke. The verdict..a shot maker.
    I read quite a few of the previous posts about coolant and shot making setups and this is what I have put together PLEASE correct any misconceptions I may have or any ideas that may help.
    first the shotmaker: a jim stewart single with #8 drippers
    then the coolant: low tox antifreeze (which is best?)
    cooling system: could a simple water jacket cooling with gardenhose supplied flow work? more specific a container of the coolant in a slightly larger container that has a garden hose / valve at the lower corner and a output-overflow hose on the oppisite top corner. the coolant would be allowed to reach operating temperatures and then cooling would be initiated so that a constant temp is reached?
    still thinking of a good way of sifting out the bad ones..course screen maybee?
    will this general setup work if fed a constant diet of good ingots?
    also whats the "best" drip edge coating material?

Im looking for help and any would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Sawyer

2. 686

686 TS Member

get the black max with double # 8's it will put out twice as much shot. should be about 80 lb per hr.one lb inget are best. most importand, start getting all the ww you can and keeo getting it.if you know how much you have you do not have enugh. ypu can not load those shells with cast, it is to lihgt, so watch out for your frinds wanting you to give up your lead to them. if they want you to sale them shot , tell them they have to bring you lead. keep the exchange rate high enugh that you have lead left for you for your time. good luck.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

686 makes a good point, LEAD SUPPLY, I get free wws BUT only about 150lbs every 6 weeks or so. Down from a wasy 300lbs from last year. I have all but lost all other sources of WWs. Most of my other sources sell back to distributors of New WWs. I got everything to make shot except shot maker. The lead supply has been my decideing factor. Cant see investing 500.00 or more when I cant get enough lead to make it worth it. I may still get a shot maker in near future is things change? Used WWs in my are 1.00lb per ton

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

collect your ww first and after you have enough then go for the shot maker. You may abondon this idea after measuring your collection.

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

check out some junk yards and scrap dealers, you can buy ww from them.

tony

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

tony here in mass most junk yards have caught on! first off all rims and tires are removed from the junkers before put into the yard, wheel weights removed. the 5 largest junk yards in my area are 1.00 per lb per ton. I used to be able to walk around and pull weights off the tires for 25.00 a 5g bucket. No More. Also Most junk yards are cleaned out. scrap went high few months back and everything was crushed and sold.

7. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Any one see a problem with the cooling? I think it will work but I have no shotmaking experience. might just have to experiment.

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

9. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

TTT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.