1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WANT TO SLOW DOWN SANDBAGGING?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scooterbum, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Following a punch, disallow a yardage reduction for a period of one year. If the ATA is concerned with target counts, then they can also require 2000 targets fired at, before any reduction.

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Check the pockets for sand, when they register. If they ever where involved with sandbagging that is where the sand will usually end up when carrying them.

3. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I would prefer the method where I just break more targets than they do. Drowning a sandbagger in a wake of whoopass would give me more satisfaction than an accountant coming to my rescue.

4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

We all know that sandbagging is cheating. But is it also something worse, like STEALING?

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

SBs are easy to spot locally, but at bigger shoots, they are more difficult to ID.

The number of local SBs give you an idea of the size of the problem.

6. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I just wish I was good enough in handicap to be a sand bagger.

7. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Scooterbum: You clearly know very little about ATA shooting. Show me the passage in the rulebook that says one can't miss targets on purpose. I'm not saying it's ethical, but show me where it says it's illegal. This tired old trolling line of yours has been around forever. How can you "prove" someone's miss was intentional?

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Another thing I find interesting is your assumption that,

"Following a punch, disallow a yardage reduction for a period of one year. If the ATA is concerned with target counts, then they can also require 2000 targets fired at, before any reduction."

So please tell us how this rule would be any different than this rule that hasn't done much to curb the sandbagging.

5. Any score of 97, 98 and 99 or winning a total of $750.00 or more (option and added money) in a single handicap event will automatically earn 1 yard, and a score of 100 or winning a total of $1,200.00 or more (option and added money) in a single handicap event will automatically earn 1-1/2 yards provided these scores do not earn at least that much under the earned yardage table.

Just more inconvenience for the honest shooter.

Bob Lawless

9. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Denny,

Look at section II.C.5.

in a nutshell, any member who commits acts which result in artificially low scores is subject to disciplinary action.

So, I believe the rule does exist, but you're righ, it's very hard to prove.

10. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Anything gained by sandbagging would be tainted...

An honest man does not approve of or abide by tainted things...

Sandbaggers are tainted individuals...

An honest man does not approve of or abide by tainted things...

Get my drift?

11. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Lit,

tom berry has already said where it is in the rule book.

Your opening accusation, and the rest of your vomit, is really Mickey Mouse. Sandbagging isn't a question, it's a problem.

But, I must say, you really are taking to heart your new membership in the HITS Frat.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Ah Ohhhh. Here we go!

13. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"So please tell us how this rule would be any different than this rule that hasn't done much to curb the sandbagging."

The sandbaggers I know, following a punch, will start to drop birds for 1000 targets (or more), to get reduced in yardage at the next computer review(s). The 1 year wait will slow down this action, by making them shoot at their new yardage for 1 year without reduction. Anytime they get another punch, the 1 year clock starts anew.

So, if at the state shoot this year, Mr. SB gets a punch, next year at this state shoot, he is still shooting from this newly acquired yardage! Under the current rules, dropping birds to reduce yardage is simple.

Isn't it a little strange that a 78-82 average cap shooter will start pulling up 96-98 scores, but only at the big shoots?

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Recently, the break point was raised in the central zone, from 90 to 91. This helps sandbaggers alot. That amounts to 10 birds that they do not have to drop, to get the computer review reduction.

How am I doing so far, Lit?

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Scooter, you are a bum. I've e shot a lot of places and cannot recall ever encountering a sandbagger. Guys and gals that had good days, but not folks that artificially and intentionally keep their scores low. I observed numerous 95 to 98 scores last year by short yardage shooters. But I had those too on the away up. You are just manufacturing crap to wake the old guys up. You have to be a lot of fun in the trap clubhouse.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"The sandbaggers I know, following a punch"

So you personally know some sandbaggers. What have you done to stop them? Did you turn them in? Did you confront them or did you stick your head deep down in the sand and expect someone else to do it? Personally i agree with MIA and think your full of sh!t!

17. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I have talked with sandbaggers, about it. They almost always dummy up, and go mum. After all, it's not a question if, but of. I have seen others bring it up, also. Same thing. Denials are not forthcoming.

Sandbagging will not be solved out on the line, but in the rules.

18. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I am new to Trap Shooting and have been following the cheater/sandbagger threads because it is pretty interesting. It amazes me that in a "competition" people will not try to do their best. OT, I looked at a couple local shoots to see if it would be easy to find a sandbagger by only looking at the black and white numbers. Within 2 minutes I found a local tournament where a D-Class shooter scored a 194. Now, as a new shooter that totally turns me off. It basically says you have no chance of going out and competing because of sandbaggers. I keep hearing ways on how to bring new youg blood into the sport, and this is a total turn off to me. I dont expect to go into D class and win, but I also dont expect to shoot against somebody droppong 6 out of 200. I know people have to earn their scores to wins, but going out and getting embarrased by a sandbagger in your class is crazy. Not trying to rustle any feathers, I'm just an outsider looking in.

Edit - I guess my point is I would hope to be a last place A class shooter than a first place B shooter. To me its all about me being a better shooter and improving, not intentionally doing bad to make myself feel better against worse shooters.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Isn't it a little strange that a 78-82 average cap shooter will start pulling up 96-98 scores, but only at the big shoots?"

Strange yes but proof of sandbagging nice try but no cigar. You need more than that to prove it sorry.

Bob Lawless

20. Habib

Habib Member

The life of a SB must be miserable. They intentionaly miss targets all year long with the dim hope of winning at the State Shoot? They spend more money all year long losing than they can ever win. Doesn't make sense to me, I don't know any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.